Deep Breaths

Someone's hand is resting on my thigh, closer to my hip, moving their thumb back and forth in a comforting way. I take a deep breath and open my eyes and see Julie sitting in a chair, right at my eye level. I realize I'm lying down on my side in a bed. I flutter my eyes. I sleepily half way roll onto my back to see who's sitting on the bed by my legs. I hear Julie's soft whisper and a deep British voice I could recognize anywhere.

"Someone's finally awake," Julie says with a smile. She places one of her fingers at my neck, feeling for my pulse. After she jots something down on a piece of paper, she helps me sit up by pushing my back up. Theo is sitting at the foot of the bed, moving his hand up my leg a little ways. I use my right arm to keep myself upright. He smiles sympathetically at me, but then his smile turns to relief. He touches my cheek gently, brushing it with his palm. His breathing is shaky and I can tell he was sitting anxiously, waiting for me to wake up. "I'll tell Sam and Miss Ida that you're awake. I'll let you two have a few minutes alone." Julie politely steps out of the room, leaving Theo and I to each other.

"You're okay," he assures me, and probably himself too. Theo leans in, giving me a quick kiss before putting his arms around my waist, hugging me. I put my arms around his shoulders and neck, burying my face in the side of his neck. He rests his cheek on the side of my head, cocooning me with his arms. I feel a tugging sensation on my shoulder blade, right where the bullet went in and notice my shoulder is generally stiff. It feels like a large bandage, but I don't pay attention to it. All I'm thinking about is that I'm safe and sound, at home, the love of my life holding me.

"I love you," I tell him, not sure what else to say.

"I love you too," he says to me with his low voice. He rubs my back with one hand. I take my face away from his neck and grasp onto his lips with my own, kissing him with a lot of passion. I feel his lips hold onto my bottom lip, kissing me back just as hard. I hold the back of his neck with my hand, caressing him. Who knew a kiss could feel this electric? I feel my body start to feel warm; love filling every tiny space in my body. I get chills down my back as Theo kisses me back progressively harder, yet still not very hard. My face feels hot like I'm blushing. My hand moves from the back of his neck down his left arm. It feels stronger and bigger than I remember. I follow it all the way down to his fingers. He laces our fingers together and I feel my hands shaking against his. I don't know why, but it's like I'm nervous to be with him again. My breaths even tremble as we kiss.

I come up for air to catch my breath. I take my lips away and feel his nose resting on the side of mine. I keep my eyes closed, breathing rather heavily, but still wanting to kiss him. I try to lean in again, but just barely catch his succulent lips.

"I was so worried about you," he says, sneaking in a smile. It translates to me and I find myself smiling softly. For the first time in for what seemed like an eternity, I see his eyes sparkling. It's been so long since I've seen it, it seems to draw me to him. Before he can react, I put my lips back into place on his. We only kiss for a few moments before he pulls away again.

"I could say the same for you," I say aloud, looking right into his twinkling eyes. "I missed you." I can't really put how I feel into words. Of course I missed him, but it feels like more than that. When he went to visit his parents, I missed him. This is different. I don't know what exactly it is, but it's more than just missing someone. I press my lips together, holding back the tears the best I can, but a few slip away from me.

"Oh, love, don't cry," he says in a hushed tone.

"They're not sad tears, I promise. They're 'I don't know what to feel right now' tears." I lean forward, resting my head on his chest. I move my left shoulder to stretch it out, trying to relieve the tension I feel. That shoots searing pain all the way down to my finger tips and up into my mid-back region. The stitches pull and one of them tears at my skin. I quickly pull my arm back in by my side. I moan and clench my teeth, holding my breath and wanting it to stop. Theo kisses the top of my head and gently rubs my shoulder, comforting me and calming me down.