It's Just Part of the Job

My heart skips a beat as I watch him slide his finger to the trigger. I don't move a muscle. I hold my gun as tight as I can, the glass sending searing pains all the way up my arm. Lionel is holding his gun by one hand only, as the other one has a hole in it.

"Put your gun down, sweetheart," he says with a fiendish grin. "Or I will have no choice than to kill you. And it would be a pure shame, Aphrodite."

"Don't call me sweetheart," I say through clenched teeth.

"Does the baby girl not like pet names?" His glance changes to Theo. "You would know. Seeing as though you've been sleeping with her." My eyes fill with fire.

"If you've really been watching us, you would know that that's not true," I'm quick to respond. It is true, one hundred percent. The only time we've been in bed together was the night at Miss Ida's.

"You know, Aphrodite, it's not very wise of you to be having relations with your work partner. I thought you'd be smarter." I stay calm and decide to just let him finish. "No matter the amount of self control that you have, it will always be noticeable that you are together. Just the... aura  that's coming off of the both of you. " He looks back at me and with a devilish look, and aims for my stomach.

"Shoot her and I will make sure that you have a slow and painful death. That's a promise," Theo threatens him.

"Protecting your little kitten, are you?"

"I'm not his kitten," I stammer. "I'm not your bitch either. You're mine right now. So drop your gun, and get on the floor." He smiles again, showing his strangely perfectly white teeth.

"Oh no. You're right, you're much to tenacious to be a kitten. You're more like a tigress. Watching everyone's single movements, plotting the kill, watching out for her loved ones... It's such a shame that your inner tigress couldn't come out when your parents-"

"Do. Not. Bring up my parents." I start moving closer and closer to him, not worried about being shot.

"Aph..." Theo warns me. I ignore him completely and get closer to Lionel's face, my gun resting on his chest. Lionel raises his gun to my head, the barrel resting on my temple. I don't acknowledge it.

"I will pull this trigger so fast if you say even one word about my parents. I will end you. You can bet your ass that I will." Lionel twitches his finger over the trigger and it makes a small click noise.

"Aph,"  Theo says again, louder this time. I press on trying to make Lionel break, even though I don't know how. The gun to my head is the least of my problems right now. I'm not worried about it.

"You had better choose your next words very wisely." We stare at each other, not backing down.

"On three, we both put our guns down at our sides, alright? No games and no firing. Got it?" He stays expressionless and I begin to count. "One... two..." I feel the gun start to come off my head before I get to three. I start lifting mine just a touch. "Three." My hand falls to my side and he doesn't quite do the same. His gun is down, but it's aimed at my upper leg. Theo comes up beside us, the tension so great you could almost see strings between us. He has his phone up to his ear and I can hear it ringing.

"I'll watch him. Go down to the basement and get the other guy." I look up at him defeated. He leans in close to my ear and whispers. "Before you get yourself killed. Go." I want to argue that I'm technically the one in charge right now, but it's not really the ideal situation for that right now. I start taking a few steps away from them and hear Theo talking. Theo grabs Lionel's shirt and pulls him into a living room area. He shoves him into a chair and digs for zip ties in his backpack. I wander down the steps, being careful of my every move. I get to the bottom of the stairs and see no one.