Argentine Tango

"Just park on that street," I say pointing ahead of us. "It won't be too far from the mansion if we need to get away in a hurry." He pulls onto the side of the road and looks over at me again. He smiles at me, but not using his lips, somehow. He manages to smile at me with his eyes, maybe it's just the way he's looking at me. I don't know for sure. I look back at him and put a smile on my face, using my mouth. "What?"

"You're just... stunning. The dress really brings out your green eyes. It makes them sparkle more than usual, I can't help but look a little bit longer." He pulls his lips back, revealing his perfect smile. My face feels hot again and I look down. How do I respond to him when he tells me stuff like this? I almost don't know how to act around such a gentleman. "Are you blushing?"

"Yeah... Probably a little bit..." I answer quietly. "Not because it's embarrassing, but... I mean people have complimented me before but..." I look back up to meet his eyes. "Not like saying I'm beautiful and meaning it. People can be real jerks, you know?" He nods his head and doesn't look away until I do. I reach into the back seat and grab my strappy stiletto heels. They're gold in color to match the detailing on the dress. I pop open my door to put them on. Theo gets out and stands next to the open door, waiting for me to finish putting them on.

"So, what's the plan when we get in there?" I shake off what he said before to focus on what we are really here for.

"We treat ourselves to the hors d'oeuvres first because I'm hungry," he laughs and I look up at him, "then we sit at a table just to listen and observe everything. People may try and talk to us, so if that happens just act natural and chit chat like you know the host." I sit straight to fix my dress at the sleeves and he holds his arm out for me to take. I stand up, flatten out my dress and take his arm. I slam the car door shut and we start walking, my arm looped through his.

"And what if we find or hear something?"

"Then we sneak around for a while, that's the real fun part," I says grinning.

"And if we don't?"

"Then we are just there to enjoy a party we weren't formally invited to."

"Alright. Sounds like a great time," He looks over at me. Even though I'm wearing five inch heels, I'm not quite at eye level with him. Out of the corner of my eye, I see him bite his lip. "What did you mean when you said people can be jerks?"

"How did I know that you were going to ask me that, at least sometime tonight?"

"Because quite apparently, I'm nosy," he wrinkles his nose, a smile still lighting up his face.

"One of my closer guy friends was on the football team and because we were close friends, a lot of the other players used to call me gorgeous and beautiful out of pity. There were a lot of rumors spread about me in school and everyone played along with them. Little did they know I could've done real harm to them, but I never did. After that whole thing, I kind of got used to it being a joke. I can tell you're being sincere though because of that twinkle, it hasn't left your eyes."

"It sort of sounds like you had a rough time in school. I thought you would've been one of those girls everyone liked and talked to."

"Well that is the complete opposite. I was always quiet and kept to myself; I liked to read and study and get good grades and I also had a huge secret on my shoulders. They say high school is the best four years of your life, but I beg to differ."

"Aw, I'm sorry," he says pulling is mouth to one corner. I shrug.

"It's over now. It's also the past so it doesn't bother me one bit. Those assholes are out of my life for good." We start walking up the steps and past huge pillars of the mansion. I stand up and walk straighter, as if that were possible because I am wearing heels, and Theo composes himself as well. "Ready to do this?" I ask quietly, turning on my British accent. He winks at me and we walk up to the door. He winked at me.