Not Without Me

A bullet enters through my back, directly into my left shoulder blade. I yell out and fall forward, crumpling to the ground. All the noise around me disappears, the silence intensifying. I try getting to my feet, but before I can get up myself, Theo's arms are around me. He lifts me so I can stand on my own and says something to me, but I can't hear him. My ears are ringing. I start to panic. My eyes are nearly shut all the way and I feel dizzy. He rushes into a doorway and pushes through. My legs are wobbling, making me unable to stand. I lean my back up against the wall and breathe shallowly, starting to feel the blood running down my back. The back of my shirt is wet against my skin. He keeps his arm tucked around me. His lips are moving, but no sound escapes them. I start hearing whispers coming off his lips.

"Aph? Can you hear me?" I attempt to nod my head, but it's like I'm unable to move. His voice is so muffled it doesn't sound like words to me. "Look at me," he says calmly. I slowly move my eyes around, the room we're in is spinning wildly. "Hey, look at me," he repeats. His face comes into focus. "Can you hear me?" I nod slowly and try to comprehend what's happening.

"Theo, it hurts..." I mumble. I close my eyes it worsens.

"Shh," he puts his hand on my cheek. "Keep your eyes open, love." His voice is diminishing while all other sounds seem to be getting louder. I open my eyes and look at him. He's calm and serene, his chest rising and falling like he's out of breath. He pulls me off the wall and puts his hand around my back to support me. He has to hold me tight so I don't stumble around. The more he moves me around, the more light headed I become. My breaths get even more airy, panic overtaking my body.

"I can't breathe..."

"We need to get you out of here." I nod and he pushes us back out the door.

"We can't leave... Li-" I start coughing, inhaling some of the dust that fills this hallway. Some of the shots must've hit the ceiling.

"Aphrodite, you were shot in the back. We can't stay around." A mob of people come around a corner a head of us. Theo turns us around and starts running; I struggle to keep up. He pulls me along around another corner that is a dead end. I press my hands against the back wall to stay up, my shoulder searing with pain. "Aph, we need to go."

"We can't let him escape again... not after everything we've done-"

"No. There's no way we can when you're hurt like this." I hold my shoulder, blood trickles onto my fingers and down my back. I wince and moan as the pain start radiating all over my back. Theo leans in close to me. He holds me under my left side to keep me up, but my shoulder can't take the pressure. I yell out louder in immense pain.

"Ow! Stop stop stop..." I push myself up off the wall with my right hand, my legs shaky. He finds my hand with his and I hold onto it, maybe too tight, trying to ignore the agonizing pain.

"We'll sneak around the back and go out the way we came in, okay?" I nod and we start making our way. "We need to get you to a doctor-"

"Just call Miss Ida," I say out of breath. "She said if I was ever hurt to call her. We can't go to a hospital and you know why." The three large men with come running around the corner. The one aims the barrel of his gun at us and Theo stops in his tracks. He keeps his arm around me, but manages to step in front of me. I lean onto the back of his shoulder, giving myself a chance to rest. My eyes close again, feeling like I might pass out.

"We found them, Lionel," someone says from behind them. I recognize that bratty kid's voice anywhere. Zander? "The girl was shot, though." All three of them start towards us, two of them taking Theo first. I fall to the cement floor, not expecting him to be taken away from me. Theo tries fighting them off, doing his best to keep them away. Zander grabs my left wrist and yanks me back up to me feet. I scream in extreme discomfort. I feel my muscles move around the bullet that's in my shoulder. The twisting causing me more pain. One of the guards has Theo's arm around behind his back and slams him into the wall. Theo brings his opposite elbow back into the man's throat. He steps off and Theo turns around to getting a gun to his chest. The wind gets knocked out of him and hits his head on the wall behind him.