What Are the Odds?

"Aphrodite! Theo! It's so good to see you two!" Miss Ida exclaims, quickly shuffling over to the car. I get out first and give her a big hug. "Dear I've missed you! You didn't call nearly as often as I thought you would," she kisses my cheek and squeezes me tighter. "The only time you called was to talk about..." her eyes shift to Theo, who is just stepping out of the door.

"I know, we both could have called more. We were just enjoying our time there," she releases me and turns to Theo to hug him.

"We're both to blame for not calling," he says to her. He kisses her cheek and hugs her a little more gently than I did. "Good to see you, Miss Ida."

"Oh you two look wonderful. Maybe a bit... bigger? Stronger? Oh I don't know. Something just looks different. Samuel will be so excited to see you!" She looks at Theo first, then me. Theo looks at me, the twinkling in his eyes and I form my lips into a soft smile, hoping that my eyes are doing the same. "Theo, could you take the bags in? I need to show Aphrodite something quickly. We'll be right in. You can put them in the bedrooms you stayed in last time."

"Sure," he says sounding happy to do it. And he probably is, that's just how he is. He pops open the trunk and grabs one of my bags and one of his, both of which have just enough clothes for our stay here. I quickly make my way over to the trunk and duck behind it so I can have a quick word with him.

"Remember, what we discussed on the plane. We're on the DL while we're here." He winks at me and I close the trunk for him, making it look like I was just helping him out.

"Thanks, love," he says, trying to sound casual. I know he didn't do it intentionally, and I widen my eyes a little and press my lips together. I know he said it loud enough that Miss Ida heard and I hope she didn't catch it.

"Thank you, Theo. We'll be in in a flash. Sam should be inside... somewhere. I'm sure he will hear you come in," she holds out her arm for me to take. I loop my arm through hers and she leads me around towards the back of the house. "Since you and Theo had left, Sam and I had something installed in the yard." We get around the corner and a see a small (but still a fairly good sized) black and white marble fountain. Surrounding it, there is a wide variety of perennial flowers; colors, shapes and sizes of all sorts. I gasp a little at the sight of how beautiful it is.

"Oh, Miss Ida, it's so... it's beautiful," I let go of her arm and run over to the fountain, looking at the lights running along the base. I sit on the ledge where the water runs inside. I touch the marble, remembering mine and Theo's kiss. Miss Ida comes and joins me, sitting to my left on the ledge.

"We had some people install it not long after you and Theo left. It was finished a few days ago and I've been so eager to show you." I glide my hand along the water, sending ripples through it. "Your parents first mission together, before they had you, was in the same city you and Theo were at. They shared a kiss under the fountain there in Paris. I assume you and Theo went to see it? Please tell me you did, otherwise this won't be nearly as special. I put it in memory of them, there's an engraving one on of the stones here."

"Yeah, we went to the fountain..." I mumble, looking around the rest of the yard. "I didn't know mom and dad went to Paris. Or that they went to the fountain."

"Your mom always said she wanted to go back, but I don't know if they ever got around to it. Busy people they were." I wiggle my fingers around in the water, small miniature waves going through it. I stay relatively quiet, listening to the water. "Aphrodite...?" I move my eyes to look at her and her face lights up. "I see that special something in your eyes," she says nudging me.

"And what is that special something?" I ask, not really sure where it's going from here.

"Love, obviously, dear." I feel my face getting warm. "Love is in the air," she says gesturing to the space above her.

"Theo kissed me in the rain last night," I say, getting very quiet, "right in front of the marble fountain." I bite my lip, not sure if I should say anything else. I can see Miss Ida is expecting me to continue, so I do. "I kissed him back. He said he loved me," my mouth is a little dry, "and I said I loved him." She doesn't say anything, a small smile shows on her face. "We danced a little, too."

"Oh, Aphrodite," her smiles seems to get bigger, "you're in love. You're so in love."

"You were right, I don't even know when I started to get feelings for him. It all just kind of... happened and I wasn't going to be the one to stop it."

"So... you're going to let this go on, right? Please tell me that you're together. Otherwise I'm going to have to talk to Theo about it." I laugh, hoping I'm not being to loud.

"Yes, we're together," I say nodding my head. "I never expected to fall for someone so quickly." My face keeps getting warmer and she notices I'm more than blushing at this point.

"I'm over the moon for you and him. Let's go inside, shall we?" I nod and stand up from the ledge. I look at it again, seeing it's real beauty. "I expect to hear details before you leave tomorrow," she says patting my hand. We both start toward the back door, Theo opening it as soon as we get there.

"I was just coming to get-" he stops short and looks behind me at the fountain.

"Miss Ida just finished telling me that my parents visited the fountain on their first mission," I say, still not quite believing the whole thing. I turn around to get one last look before we go inside. Theo wraps his arms around me, his hands coming together around my waist. My back is pressed up close against his chest as he pulls me in, I begin to feel whenever he takes a breath. I rest my hands over his, tracing his knuckles with my fingers. We start swaying a little bit, holding me in his arms. He leans down and kisses my cheek, holding his lips there and makes a small humming sound.

"Oh, you two are just adorable," Miss Ida whispers as she steps inside the door, leaving us outside together.

"What happened to keeping it between us?" he asks, resting his cheek on the side of my head.

"I'm pretty sure Miss Ida knew before I even told her. Miss Ida had it put in as sort of a memorial for my parents. What are the odds?" We stand just like this for a while, admiring the fountain.

"It's got quite the effect on people," Theo whispers. "Samuel wants us to come in pretty soon, he wants us to talk about Lionel. We should probably head in." I take a breath and enjoy the serenity of it all.

"We don't often get peace and quiet," I look up at him, "let's stay out here for a while. Just a little longer."