Prologue

Hi my names Dakota Smith, I'm 17 years old, and I am go to move to La' Push. My mother said she grew up there and met my dad. My father ran away when I was born, but my mom still loves him. She says it's "hard to explain" which I don't get. But anyways, I was the nerd in my old school. I had the big black rimed glasses, and I used to have braces, but I got them taken out this year. The only difference of me and nerds, is that I have dyed hair and, usually, nerds have someone to talk to, but I don't. People at my school spread rumors that I was mute, but I'm not. I just don't want to talk. The teachers know that I don't like to talk, so they never bother to pick on me for answers.

My mother and me sometimes talk, when she's off of work, but mostly not. She took me to the doctor once, because she thought I couldn't talk anymore, the doctor told her that I choose not to talk, so I'm pretty much mute. Me and my mom haven't talk in two years. But she travels for her job and sometimes it would be weeks before I see her, but the small-time when she's off is the best time. My mother doesn't know about my speaking problem with others at school, but she doesn't need to know anytime soon.

But my mother wants to move me to La' Push to get to my roots and get social with kids my own age, instead of my dog, Oreo. But I kept telling her that I'm perfectly fine with living where we are now. 'She never listens.' I thought to myself as we were on the plane to our new home.

'And the journey begins,' I thought as I saw the plane land to the earth. "You ready?" My mom asked. I smiled and nodded my head, knowing deep down inside, that I was never going to be ready for this.