Chapter 10.

Slade and I had arrived at my house after picking Steve up from school and taking him to the day care.

We studied for an hour or so and I have to say Slade was smart.

Really smart.

He just didn't do homework, nor classwork, nor always listened during class.

Plus all the teachers hated him, and he would always annoy the living crap out of Mr.Altman.

Mr.Altman saw potential in Slade, he had said it a million of times.

The only problem was Slade didn't try hard enough.

I watched him write.

He looked so cute, and focused.

"Why don't you try?" I question snapping back from my thoughts not caring how random or curious I sounded at the moment.

He lifted up his head.

"What do you mean?" he asks.

"You're obviously really smart. You know all of this. You just don't try hard enough to gain the grades and credits you deserve in school. Why?" I clarify.

He shrugs.

"I just don't see a future in college, so there's no point in passing high school. If something or someone isn't worth me fighting for I won't waste my time on it so much" he explains.

"But you don't need to pass high school for college. You need to pass in order to grow up, look back, and say I did that. I accomplished finishing that race I started, because I tried and tried. And I didn't give up" I inform.

"You're so....full of hope" he states leaning in closer.

"Something I lack. But now that you're in my life you help me realize I need to try more. It's amazing the way you show me a new perspective of the world, it's beautiful" he states looking into my eyes with those big blue ones of his.

I was frozen at the little amount of space we had.

The couch was so large, yet he choose to be this close to me.

"Grace" he says softly.

"Y-yeah" I respond stuttering.

"Hey!" a voice calls out.

Both of our heads snap towards the front door.

Slade quickly moves a far distance from me.

Why now?

Why does this always happen to me?

"What's going on in here?" she questions with her arms crossed walking to us both.

Slade and I glance at each other.

I try to think of something to say.

"Nothing?" I reply.

"Mmhh nothing" she repeats.

She smiles towards Slade.

He gives her a small smile back.

"Well I didn't expect to see you here Slade. You and Grace spend an awful lot of time together" she comments.

"We're just studying" he states.

Yeah, just studying.

I roll my eyes.

"Well I just came by to see my beautiful cousin and pay her a lovely visit" she announces.

No you weren't.

You knew Slade was coming so you just had to make one of your stupid entrances!