27. Old Habits Die Hard

27.

“Clove? Are you awake?”

I could hear a faint voice buzz over me, and I felt someone’s cold fingers on my skin. Nothing changed for me, I kept my eyes shut. I didn’t want to wake up and see other faces. Was I dead? Where was I, heaven? Or was I in hell. I never believed in the after life but now…well I hope that I was good enough to meet a good end.

“When will she wake up?”

The voice says more clearly this time, but further away from me. A mumbling sound; someone replying. Maybe I should open my eyes; Cato could be waiting anxiously for me to come back to him. After debating to either wake or stay asleep, my mind finally makes a decision. Slowly, I open one eye and then the other. Gasps are suddenly heard all around me, and figures stand over me looking at my every move. I blink a couple of times, before my eyes adjust to the burning bright lights of the room. Directly standing and looking down at me is Cato and Geoff, followed by Brutus, Sedrya and Plutarch.

“W-where am I?” I say rubbing my head tenderly. Cato lets out a small sigh, of relief?

“You’re safe that’s all that matters.” He says softly bending down over me and kissing my forehead.

I just sit there like a pudding and don’t move a muscle.

“What happened? Why are we out of the arena? Did we win again?” I say all of my breath coming back. Plutarch lets out a small giggle.

“Clove, this may take some explaining. So when you are more at home and well fed I will begin. OK?”

I nod and all my visitors, bar Cato and Geoff, leave me be. Settling back into my bed, I rub my hands together and sing softly to myself. Cato and Geoff both sit on chairs beside my bed and chat together or just watch me, carefully. Hours pass and Sedrya comes in with all of our dinners. She stays and sits on my bed, helping me eat. I feel so weak, even shovelling a forkful of rice is hard. This method continues for another three days, when finally I feel stronger and refreshed. The two boys leave and Sedrya helps me change into a pale mint top and khaki knee-length shorts. With my hair just washed, Sedrya sets it up in an elaborate braid telling me I look beautiful. During that time Sedrya babbles on about anything, everything, while I stand still like a doll. I don’t know what the heck is going on… and hell I’m scared. Leading me out of my safe house for the last few days, Sedrya walks awkwardly along before stopping outside a metal door. Knocking twice, it opens and we both walk in. My eyes widen as I take in the sight of a group of people assembled around a table. I count 8 seats, two of them vacant. Mine and Sedrya’s.

“Ah Clove you look much better, do sit…and Sedrya.” Plutarch says indicating to the free spaces. I sit, beside Cato (how convenient) and he immediately grabs my hand and caresses my soft skin. I don’t push him away; I miss him too much. Sedrya finally sits and Plutarch coughs.

“Now Clove, I told you that I would explain everything in detail to you about why you are here. I will only do that if you accept my terms.” Plutarch pauses and glances at me. I chew my lip, everyone’s eyes on me. I notice now that Beetee is sitting three seats to my left, I try to ignore his gaze and speak.

“Your terms?” At least my attitude is back, everyone else must think so too for they all begin laughing. Cato doesn’t, just clutches harder onto my hand.

“I will tell you after, so you agree?” Plutarch presses me on. They can’t be that bad…could they?

Look before you leap, Clove

“Fine, I agree. Now spill.”

Plutarch sits down and buttons up his blazer, and then unbuttons it again. A nervous habit I suppose? Clearing his throat stronger this time, he proceeds.