9. Last Chance

9.

Reaping comes early this year. It's really been only six months I think since we won. Not a year.

I trudge along in a simple golden dress, my hair settled across my bare shoulders. I walk hand-in hand with Cato to the sign in, and let the lady prick my finger. It doesn't hurt me anymore; nothing can.

Cato lets me go and I march to the fifteen year-old section, alone. No other victors are still fifteen. We do have a lot of victors. Around seven other woman file in and nine men. That's all the alive ones anyway.

Sedrya has an important role today; she has to choose the unlucky victor. I pray it's not me. This time at the last Reaping I wanted to be reaped and win for my District. Now, I'm terrified of going back into the arena. Brutus basically collapses to the ground as he files in. I feel sorry for him. He helped us win, he can't go back into the arena. I catch Cato's eye and he gives me a cocky smile. The remainder of the District watches around the borders at this unusual spectacle and the children cry with relief that they are spared this year. Well the 18 year-olds are celebrating anyway.

Sedrya bounds onto the stage, in her usual preppy self. Two crystal clear Reaping bowls are placed beside her.

"Now, the time has come to select two courageous past victors to represnt District 2 in the 75th Annual Hunger Games, the third Quarter Qwell." she says brightly into the microphone. I can see it in her eyes, she doesn't want to do this; she keeps jumping whenever a sound can be heard. She clears her throat.

"As usual, Ladies First!"

Sedrya, with shaking fingers, digs her hand into the crystal clear reaping bowl. It's weird; the vibe around here. All the victors, thinking they are safe but then I happened.

Sedrya catches a slip and trots to the centre stage. No one dares to speak, an occasional muffled cough is the only sound heard. My heart hammered inside my delicate chest.

"And the female tribute is-" Sedrya clicks open the paper.

"Clove Green!"

What are the odds I was reaped? I beat all the slips in the bowl read my name; President Snow set this up. To get me back I suppose. I walk slowly onto the stage, lifting my skirts with me. Sedrya hands me the Mic.

I don't have anything to say. She continues.

"Now for the men." Not boys. I'm not against boys this time. Please don't let Cato be reaped; there will only be one victor this time.

"Brutus Chesterfield!" Sedrya says glumly and I swear I see her shed a few tears. Against my mentor? No I can't!

"I volunteer." Instantly I know it's Cato. I roll my fists into tight balls and keep my face strong.

Cato joins me on the stage and Sedrya tells us to shake hands again.

The star crossed lovers of District Two.

††††††

"It's okay Clove," Mother says. It's the same scene as last time, although this time I'm not coming back. I wrap her into a hug and she obliges. Contently.

"Take care when I'm gone," I whisper to them and Geoff stands back shuffling on his feet. I embrace my parents once more before turning to Geoff.

"I didn't know Clove honestly." he says his eyes playing a lie. I see right through him. Does he think I am dumb?

"Save it Geoff. Just to let you know, I hate you. I don't care what you do or say, I'm never going ti change." I spit into his face. He just glares at me and I turn on my heel.

"You can leave me now." I say holding back the fire burning in my soul. Geoff, and my parents leave in silence and I sit with my hands cupping my face upon the velvet sofa.

The door cracks open and in comes two pairs of feet. I look up; I knew Poppy would coke but the boy is unfamiliar.

"This is Dylan." Poppy says pointing at him. Dylan gives me a sympathetic smile.

"We're so sad for you and Cato." Dylan says in a deep husky voice. I stand up and straighten my dress.

"Dont be, Cato's coming home." I say under my breath.

"We've got something for you," Poppy says revealing her hidden right hand from behind her back. A necklace with two jewels intertwined together . I love it. I clasp it in my palm.

"Thank you," I say and wrap them both in a strong hug. They are signalled to leave, and I wait for a peacekeeper to summon me away. No chance. Ms Pipe rushes in her face dapped with tears.

"Clove," she says softly and nestles into my shoulder. I am taken back; I'm not too keen on affection. Especially from Ms Pipe.

"Dont protect him. Both of you just be cautious." she says quickly as though she has only moments. Which is technically true.

"But-" I break off as she interrupts again.

"You've won once, do it again." A peacekeeper barks at her to leave suddenly and she disappears. I am ready to leave. I don't know what she meant.

Dont protect him.

Then it hits me; Ms Pipe wants me to kill Cato

*********

Short I know!!

I'll update soon!

Okay please comment and vote

It makes my day, always

Luv ya all xxx

*MissKatniss*

"Dont protect him,"