10. One Of The Lost Victors

10.

"Stop thinking you're going to die in there Clo," Cato whispers into my hair as we happily sit wrapped in each other upon the sofa. The rich food we just demolishes is still settling in our stomachs; but the Reaping's are on soon. I feel my shoulders tense up and just look away.

"Cato they're all experienced past Victors, not like us." I respond bitterly and look at my hands. Cato doesn't reply, just shuts his mouth.

Don't protect him.

Those words keep flooding back into my mind. Why would Ms Pipe want her own son to die? It doesn't make sense.

"Reaping time!" Sedrya hollers into the room and carries a half-drunk Brutus in tow. Ever since the reaping, she can't leave him alone. The television lights up, with the seal of Panem, and then President Snow's horrible announcement. Next, it fades and District 1 takes it place.

Gloss and Cashmere, brother and sister. Both beautiful and blonde and who look menacing. Waiting for the next kill. I gulp, and am soon looking at myself being reaped and then Cato volunteering.

Beetee and Wiress- more commonly known to me as wacko and wacko 2- are the representatives from 3. Beetee is an old whiskered man, but I know he has a bad side. He can make the deadliest things with his bare hands. Wiress, don't know much about her, although my Mother said to never underestimate someone, especially in the Games.

I recognize the male tribute from 4 as the dashing Finnick Odair, the youngest ever victor. He was crowned at the age of fourteen I believe. A crazed looking girl, who looks lost, gets replaced by an even older woman with raggedy hair. Volunteer.

District 5 passes, and then 6 (who are known as the morph-lings)

Johanna Mason and Blight from 7.

Woof and Cecilia from 8.

9, 10.

11. Chaff, the one armed man and Seeder a timid woman. I watch as 12's reaping blares on. They have no female victors alive, but I know what will happen.

Haymitch and.....

I can't bear it.

Primrose Everdeen, Katniss's little sister. The one she saved last year. She can't protect her anymore. Prim was reaped because Katniss was the one person everyone thought to come home, but failed. I feel anger pass through me as the little girl walks calmly to the stage. Her poor Mother; the pain she must be going through. I wait for the seal of Panem to show up again and then stand up quickly. Cato, looking startled follows my gaze.

"Excuse me," I mutter and hurry away. I know Cato will follow, there's no denying it. I slam my door shut and lean against the frame, my body melting to the floor. I am thrown back, and Cato lunges in angrily.

"Clove," he says and we look at each other in silence.

"I can't go back Cato, I can't." I say through sudden tears.

"I know, Clove. Listen whatever happens out there, you're coming home. I promise." he says and I look into his blue sparkling eyes. He's serious.

"The little girl Cato." I whine and Cato sighs with frustration.

"You can't save everyone." he snaps at me and gives me an unsettling glare.

"Get out!" I yell at him, his head snaps to my attention.

"Clove I didn't mean-"

"PLEASE!" I yell aggressively. Cato, who is easily angered storms out and nearly yanks the door of the frame.

I sit on my bed and cry into my sheets. Why am I being so mean to him? He didn't do anything wrong. I took my anger out on him, and he was trying to help. My Cato.

I throw the soft pillow away from the bed and scream. No one will come to me, because I pushed them away. I am so selfish, and I know it. I just cant's afford to change.

**********

Cato P.O.V

I let myself go; leaving her to her own devices. I should have just calmed her down and talked it out with her. She's angry, angry at Snow. How could he do this? Make us go back into the arena again and fight? It's totally sick, but we live in Panem and we can't go causing another rebellion; it didn't work the last time. I cover my body wit"h the duvet, and keep myself warm. Its suddenly gone below the normal warm temperature and I'm paying for it. I close my eyes tight this time, hoping my nightmares won't come. But they do, those horrible ones where I fear of losing Clove.

What if I didn't come in time when Thresh held her up high? I could never get over that; if I let her die.

"Cato?" A soft voice says travelling up to my ears. I jerk awake and see someone's dark silhouette in the gloomy dark.

"H-hello?" I ask still half asleep. The figure gives a small bitter-sweet laugh.

"It's me." Clove. "I'm sorry for before." she continues and I smile to myself.

"It's okay, you better get some sleep." I suggest and switch on my light beside my bed. The light flickers on and I get a better look at her. She's at the foot of my bed, her hair running wildly all around her.

"I should, but I can't." she replies smartly and I sigh. I pat the bed beside me and she crawls forward. In minutes she sweetly snuggled up beside me and we hold each other tight.

I'm about to fall asleep, when she speaks again.

"I need to know something," she questions me and laces her fingers with mine. I stay silent. What?

"It's about the tributes." she finally admits.

"What about them?"

"I'm scared of Chaff. He might try and finish off Thresh's job," Clove says and for once I find the scared, shy girl from 2.

Not the cocky arrogant knife-thrower most of us see. I let my lips turn into a grin.

"I'll protect you, now go to sleep." I order her and she obediently shuts her eyes.

"Love you," I whisper and stroke her peaceful face.

"Sweet dreams," she murmurs and rolls around so her back is to me. I finally settle down and await the dreams to flood into me.

"That's what I'm afraid of,"

---------------------------------

Hey,

It's not LONG but I am keen on this upload so =D

Oh hey I have school starting back up again <insert groan here>

So my daily updates won't be a promise, more a 3 day update <insert sigh from you>

In the mean time, please comment and vote and read and fan <3

I love you for clicking onto this! =D

Okay, okay you want to read other books now right?

BYE

*MissKatniss*

That's what I'm afraid of

***