3. My Fair Talent

3.

My talent, I must decide what that is. If I don’t, the Capitol citizens will think of me as a lazy victor, skulking around my District awaiting to mentor for next year’s tributes.

Cato is going to begin sculpting, and me? What can I do? I can’t exactly say my talent is throwing knives, everyone already knows that.

I curl up into a tight ball upon my bed, and sulk. It’s not exactly the most exciting thing in the world, but what else can I do? Cato left, after I told him President Snow just said congratulations to me. A very white lie, but he doesn’t need to know. I watch as the day begins to fade, and come to and end turning a dark gloomy grey. The usual atmosphere in 2. I finally give up my sulking and walk slowly out of my room. Downstairs, I hear the rest of my family enjoying a nice quite dinner, without me.

I stop outside the hall, eaves-dropping on their converse. I catch Mother serving my family sweet peas and some orange coloured mash. My nose twitches in hunger, I never knew I was this hungry!

I crouch low on the perfectly clean stairs and cup my hand to my ears, like a proper eaves-dropper would do.

“Geoff, please.” Mother says as Geoff- I think begins talking lowly to Dad- thumps down his fork onto the white glass plate. Mother clucks like a hen, cleaning the mess my brother always makes.

“Mother, I can’t stop this ranting! What if Clove found out?” he says angrily to my bemused Mother. She doesn’t tolerate talking back, and snaps at him quickly.

“She won’t know what?”

Geoff takes a deep breath, and I’m glad the door is wide open, for I can see everything without them knowing.

What mustn’t I know? A dark compelling secret that my brother is holding back from me and my Mother? I edge closer on the step, my heart beating faster every second.

“I was asked to join the Game Makers circle this year,” Geoff finally says, draining a glass of clear bubbly water. Shock registers upon my face before I realize what I am hearing. My brother, is going to become a Game Maker? What? He wants to kill children purposely?

“You must tell her, Geoff my dear, she was a part of the Games, and she deserves to know.” Mother says bitterly, finding her usual seating spot and sitting down delicately. I press my lips into a straight line. I should really go in there and ask him to explain it all to me, but the anger inside of me is too huge and I don’t want to waste it on my loved ones.

I creep down the alone stairs until I am in front of my front door, and unlock the handle. My family won’t notice, they know I need my own space.

The cold wind blows me as I step out into the evening air, and I clutch tightly onto my jacket. I don’t know where I should go; it’s too late to visit Cato. He probably wants to stay at home with his own family and enjoy a normal dinner with them.

I walk anyway, around the District and soon find myself outside my old boxing coach’s house. I let my knuckle bang against the polished oak door and I wait. After a minute of waiting, the door swings open and there in the hallway blocking my path is Boxer. His eyebrows are pressed down into a hard frown and his lips are pursed.

“Clove? Is it really you?” he asks directly, cutting to the point.

I swallow the lump in my throat and nod my head agreeing with him.

“Yeah it is, I won the 74th Hunger Games? With Cato?” I say jogging his memory. I guess being a champion boxer does affect your memory. And the fact that he had a nasty fall three years ago where he fell in the sea and was in a coma for months. Everyone was scared then, but he got through. Just like the tributes in the Hunger Games, getting on with everything. Boxer rubs his chin and grins at me.

“Yes I know that much, why aren’t you at home with your family, eh?” He says stepping out with me and shutting the door. I shrug.

“They know I need personal space,” I respond without emotion in my voice.

Boxer laughs.

“Well what are you doing here?” He asks a bit confused by my surprise visit.

“I just wanted to say hello,” I say in a small voice, and quickly add.

“Hello,”

Boxer takes my hand and presses it to my lips, it comforts me.

“Clove,” He says in an almost angelic voice.

I press my head to his strong shoulders and he wraps me in a sweet hug. I start letting tears roll from my cheeks, and soon I am in a blubbering state.

I let go of Boxer, and he pats my cheek.

“You’re okay now, right? I have to go Marie is waiting for me___” He breaks off as the door opens once again and a tanned woman in black comes out.

“There you are Boxer; come on the dinner is getting cold.” She says softly and then she spots me and Boxer’s position.

“Oh! You’re Clove,” She says smartly and I blush.

“Yeah, hi.” I say shyly, Boxer steps in.

“This is one of my best fighters, she’s amazing.” Boxer explains, praising me in the process. I grin at him with delight. The girl extends a hand and I shake it willingly.

“I’m Marie, Boxer’s wife.” Marie says standing by Boxer’s side and wrapping her hands around his waist.

I smile happily at there beautiful happiness. My mind lays at rest as I thin of these sentimental moments that not only others have, but myself and Cato. Just thinking of him makes me shine.

Boxer squeezes my palm.

“See you around, Clo.” He says quietly and turns back to Marie who plants a kiss upon his lips. They walk up the small steps and back into their house. I wave at their backs and wait for the shut of their door, before I make my escape away. Marie turns back and smiles at me.

“And may the odds be ever in your favour!” She yells and I walk away the wind replacing me. Then, a thought hits me. I now know what my talent shall be.

Boxing.

______________________________________________

The house is and eerie silence as I walk back in and I get a small guilty feeling that my parents won’t be happy about my absence at dinner. I stretch my arms and walk bravely into the seating area, where a candle burns alone. No one about though, just some old dishes from before.

I check the kitchen, and find a dark person’s shadow sitting at the kitchen isle.

I step forward and the silhouette turns to me.

“You skipped dinner,” The gruff voice says and I stiffen at the curl in the‘s’. Geoff.

“At least I don’t lie to my own family,” I snarl back at him and he chuckles. “And then don’t hide it from me,”

Geoff heaves his shoulders up and down, and I fold my arms across my chest. Geoff coughs, and I await his answers.

“Listen, I was going to tell you, but…wait how do you know?” He asks me curiously. I raise my eyebrow.

“I over heard you at dinner,” I report to him gingerly.

“Well….”

“Save it Geoff, I’m leaving.” I say in disgust and I quickly make my exit out of the kitchen. He calls out after me, and I ignore him and rush to my bedroom. He’s just a little brat, although he’s my brother and I do still love him. Deep, deep, down.

“Night!” I yell loudly as I slam my door closed and rush into my bed. I throw over the blanket and strip to my underwear and jump into the warm welcoming bed.

I’ll fight you tomorrow, world, but for now, let me rest in peace!

********************

Hey,

Be a dear and Vote, Comment and Add to your lovely libraries!

Thank you for being so supportive, :) xx

~MissKatniss~