17. One Way Or Another

And no, I do not love 1D, it isn't even their song!

17.

You know when your life flashes through you when you know you're about to die? Well I felt it right there in those 60 seconds. When I met Cato, my tenth birthday when Cato gave me this really snazzy knife. I practiced with it all day, and chopped up my cake. Which was the District 2's plaque. I ball my fists curl up into tight balls, and I glare at the clock.

49.

49 seconds until we all will dive into the freezing water and swim to the Cornucopia. From what I can see, only weapons are lining up the front and the ground near the horn.

I try to see Cato; but it's impossible to spot him out of 23 brutal looking tributes bar Prim.

27.

It isnt enough time for me, I can swim, but not well. When my dad tried to teach me, I kept giving up because the water was too cold. I hope this one is warm, they wouldn't purposely make it freezing would they?

I spot Finnick about five tributes to my left, a look of triumph plastered across his face.

Of course he's happy; fishboy.

I let a small grunt fall from my lips and turn away from him.

14

13

12

10

9

8

7

6

5

4

3

2

1.

Then the gong signalling my death sounds. All around me tributes dive for the water, there faces glum and their arms moving in a graceful fast motion to speed them to the horn.

"Clove!" I hear a deep screech to my right. I whip my head round, too scared to jump. It had to be water.

"Clove!" the voice says yet again this time it comes closer. I edge myself to the right and look out to the bump waves. Among the throng of tributes swimming hastily towards the Conrucopia, I spot Cato. His hair is dripping with water, beads trickling down his forehead. He's about five metres from me, and I stretch out my fingers in a weak attempt to reach him. He swims forwards, his breath taking the better of him. Some other tribute knocks into him and he snarls and raises a hand only realizing he hasn't yet succeeded in clasping his hands around a weapon. He reaches my plate, a wet hand planted on the metal surface.

"Why are you still here?" he demands at my shaking position.

"I-I can't swim," I mutter out my lips curling into a pout. Why am I so useless?

"Okay...we really need to get to the mainland and grab some weapons. Okay? So just keep your arms around me and play dumb." Cato instructs already turning back around and ready for me to jump onto his back. I swallow the lump in my throat and lunge forwards and onto the strong muscly back of Cato.

He instantly threads the water with his arms and races forwards, my weight making no bother to him. I guess after years of training he's toughened up.

"We're basically there," he says a laugh caught up in his throat. My body shakes, and I take in my surroundings. Some other tributes are still edging off their plates too nervous to let the water cover them into the waves. I catch sight of Prim, her body bobbing up and down. I wonder how she does that and then my brain clicks together. The fat belt!

"Cato, let me go!" I say with a sudden burst of cleverness.

He stops in the middle of the water and I feel his body frame stiffen.

"Please," I add and he finally loosens his grip. I feel my body fall into the frosty ice water. My lips tremble at the different temperature change but I make my shaking fingers pres into my belt and I feel my whole body stay afloat.

"Come on," I say doggy-paddling forwards and catching Cato's surprised face.

We race on till we eventually reach the mainland where most tributes have came across and are fighting. Gloss and Cashmere are trying to kill of the two from 11, Chaff and Seeder.

"Clove come on!" Cato says already on his feet, extending a hand to me.

"Watch out!" I scream at him and he ducks immediatly.

Few! The arrow sails past him. How dare they!

Cato and I race on till we reach the mouth of the Cornucopia and I grin with glee as I spot a small stash of knives untouched. I grab them gingerly and take out a blade. Cato joins with me again, a sword in his hand.

"Ready?" he whispers his lips brushing against mine. I shake my head.

"Always,"

We storm out to the fighting victors grunting as each blow either finds its target or completely misses. Cashmere shouts out in digust as Chaff bites at her arm causing a small trickle of blood to swear out. She charges at him and plunges her forked sword into his neck, killing him instantly. My eyes buldge. She kills so easily, forgetting that these victors might have been here friends.

I come back to my own world, and aim my knife back.

A small persom with two braids approaches me.

"Please!" she cries amd falls to her knees as I watch a knife whizz metres from her. Prim. She can't die. I shield her with my arm and the knife finds its place. Deep in my arm. Prim snuggles deep into my body, and I try not to scream out with agony. The pain from the knife. My vision blackens and the last thing I see is the sand blocking my eyes and Prim's soft unfocused eyes....

*******

PLEASE COMMENT

HOPE IT's OKAY CUZ I HAVE NOT UPDATED FOR A FEW DAYS...OOPS

VERY BUSY THESE DAYS...

Anyway please reas my bff's book Once Is Enough (MissJackSparrow)

Its awesome...<3

Okay comment amd vote xx

Bye x