Chapter thirty nine

Start from the beginning

I heard a knock on the door and gave a confirming noise for the person to enter. My mom opened the door, a slightly disturbed look on her face.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Nothing horrible, it's just, granddad is having a sore throat and they think it might be an infection, maybe in his lungs. They aren't sure yet, but it can be dangerous if it is an infection, with him already being sick and all."

"Oh.."

"It's still an early stage, so they'll probably be able to prevent things if they're bad."

"That's good, I guess."

"It is, really. Just figured I had to let you know. Would've been wrong if I didn't tell you."

"Right, thanks for telling me, mom." I smiled a little.

"Don't worry too much, darling,"

"You know what I'm like..."

My mom pulled me close, pressing a kiss against my temple. "You're such a strong young woman, you know that right?" I felt my eyes sting a little and pulled my mom tighter against me. "Seriously Jen, I'm so proud of you and I love you. I don't tell you enough."

"I love you too, mom." I would never admit it, but I felt a tear roll over my cheek. 

We sat like that for a short while. 

"Do they think grandpa has a big chance of surviving?"

"Well, the doctors are happy they found this early, this probably won't be his end. But you know, he is very vulnerable when it comes to his health. His lungs won't be cured, but that's no news to any of us."

"I'm so sad we can't just go see him and grandma."

"It is sad, really. They really miss you."

After a silence that was probably too long, my mom left my room. She had a few tears running down her cheek too, I noticed. It was really weird to think that in a year, my granddad probably wouldn't be here anymore and it's even weirder that I might never see him again. I curled up into a tiny ball onto my bed, softly crying. My music was still playing in the background as I maneuvered myself under the blankets. 

I felt like I really needed Tyler right now. Needed his arms around me to comfort me, but instead, he was off with family, probably thinking of the nicest possible way he could tell me that things weren't as he expected them to be, that I wasn't good enough and that he wanted to end things between us. 

With shaking hands I grabbed my phone from the foot of my bed and opened messaging.

[Jenna] "Tyler, please don't come over tonight.'

Glad auto-correct is a thing, otherwise not much would've been clear from that message, judging by how much my hands were shaking.

[Tyler] "What? Why not?"

[Tyler] "Is something wrong?"

[Jenna] "Because I'm asking you not to."

[Jenna] "You tell me if something's wrong. you're the one who wanted to talk"

[Tyler] "what??"

It took everything in me not to throw my phone across the room, even though I knew Tyler hadn't done anything wrong (not yet at least) and I was just being a bitch. Right as I was about to scream into my pillow, my phone went off. Tyler. 

Hesitantly, I picked up the phone. Not trusting my own voice, I waited for him to speak.

After 5 seconds he got the hint. "Jenna, are you there? Please?"

"yeah, m'here." I almost whispered, hoping he'd be able to hear.

"Thank you." Tyler replied. "Do you think you can tell me what's up? I'm worried about you."

"I just." I started, scraping my throat. I think I want to be alone for now. I mean, I don't want to be alone but my granddad got ill and I don't think I can..." I sobbed, "I don't think I can handle hearing that bad news and having my boyfriend break up with me on the same day." 

I don't know how I managed to get it out, but somehow I did and  I felt like the world stopped and exploded at the same time. I couldn't breathe but at the same time the relief made my lungs open up. I was quiet but felt the tears rolling down my cheeks.

It wasn't just me being quiet,

Tyler was quiet too.

------------------[a/n]------------------

wooooooooo i should get a prize for worst cliffhanger AND for worst updater-person-thingy. Hope you enjoyed this chapter? Kinda? lemme know what you think :)