Chapter Eleven

2 days later I decided to ask Tyler if he wanted to go to Audrey Saturday. I wasn’t sure how to ask him but I figured there wasn’t much that could go wrong. “Hey, my friend Audrey asked me to hang out at her place Sat. You wanna come too?” I was laying on the couch with a bowl of fruit, watching tv. Within five minutes I got a reply from Tyler. “I guess so, what time and everything? Are your friends a little fun to be around?” I realized I wasn’t really able to answer that question with a yes. “Oh well, they’re okay. It’s Audrey, Zoey, Tom, Daniel and some other people. Not too big. I guess it starts around 8 or 9” I was glad there were going to be more people, even though I don’t like people. I just figured it’d be better than third wheeling.

Doesn’t matter who’s coming, you’ll be there so it’ll be fun, right?. I’ll pick you up and we can go together, is that okay?” I smiled when I saw the words on the screen. I typed my response. “J yess, see you Saturday”

I called my mother to ask how everything was going. She said everything was fine and Ben was just setting up skype for my grandparents, so I booted up the laptop and logged in. 5 minutes later I was videochatting with my family. They were all doing okay, for the condition. My parents looked tired, my grandfather looked sick and my grandmother seemed happy to see me, but the bags under her eyes were noticeable. Ben was doing schoolwork, so he wasn’t there. They asked me what I was doing these days, and I decided not to tell about my new friend yet. I kind of stuck to the usual, watching tv series, movies and listening to music. A few minutes later my parents left to do the groceries, so I chatted a little more with my grandparents, mostly about the summer.

“You can come any day you want, doesn’t matter for how long. At least, not to us. Your parents were talking about 2 or 3 weeks, that’s totally fine by us.” My grandmother said. I smiled, “Yes! That seems pretty great. I’m not doing much this summer but I think I’d prefer to do pretty soon after my exams, if that works for you. That would be, a little under 6 weeks from now.” “The sooner the better.” Granddad said. I soon realized what he meant by that and we shared a broken smile. “If you want to, you can also take a friend woth you or something. Your mom said Zoey and Audrey are good friends of yours, maybe ask them to come too! Or for a few days if you’d prefer that.” My granddad said, and I nodded. “Yeah well, they’re not really my friends outside of school. I think I’ll have fun on my own.” I smiled at them, and they smiled back. I loved being able to see them again, even though the quality wasn’t too amazing. It didn’t matter.

An hour later, the videocall was ended. I grabbed ,y stuff and went to basketball practice. I arrived perfectly on time. After changing I walked toward the court with Madison and June. As soon as training began I was completely focused. It was hard, but I managed. I trained in my own team which meant I was going to give the best I got. When training was dome, I was exhausted, but at least training went well. I quickly went home after training, and after showering and getting into my pajama’s, I crashed onto the couch. After watching tv series for too long, I decided it was time for bed. At 2:12, I put away my phone.

------------------------------------

The warm sunlight on my skin woke me the next morning. It was a little after noon. I checked my phone, and then walked towards the bathroom. Through the window I saw it was warm outside. After refreshing myself a little, I put on clothes and walked downstairs. I put on some music and started cleaning the house.

One and a half hour later, I was done cleaning and I made myself food. I had a sandwich with a lot of cheese and some toast with sugar. I got bored and contemplated whether I should watch Netflix or pick my outfit for tomorrow. I decided to go with the latter, so I would spend my time at least a little bit efficient. I also remembered that I was going to be back in school in a little over a week, and finals would come soon, so maybe I had to start studying a tiny bit too.

I was in front of my wardrobe a second later. Audrey had texted me that we would also be able to use her swimming pool –which was pretty gigantic, just as the rest of the garden- but I didn’t really want to swim, since swimming meant a bathing suit and I just really wouldn’t feel comfortable and all that. I stared at my closet for 5 minutes and then I started to pick something. I wasn’t sure what the weather was going to be like, but I suspected it was going to be warm, just as today. I picked out some baby blue high-waisted jeans shorts, paired them with dark blue vans and a loose white tank top with a weird but fun black print on it. It wasn’t really special or something but I guess it looked cute. I grabbed my laptop and watched Doctor Who for the rest of the day, except for a call to my parents.

For dinner I ordered a pizza, because today had become a lazy day. I didn’t really talk to anyone except for my mom and a few texts to a few people –Tyler was one of them- and I was completely fine with being anti-social for once.

After dinner I grabbed my biology book. We were studying genetics. I decided to read the small bits of information in the book and I checked if I understood everything we had to do. Less than 30 minutes later I decided I had done enough for today and I grabbed The Fault in our Stars. This was the third time I read it. I still cried every single time but what an amazing book that is. I had seen the movie and just couldn’t get over it. After reading for the rest of the evening, I went to bed. It was around one and I felt kind of tired.

My mom invited you to come have dinner here before the party tomorrow, so if you want to come? I can pick you up.”

“And get you home after the party.”

Those were the 2 texts Tyler had sent me. My mind started freaking out a bit. “Tyler told his family about me. Is that a good thing? What does it mean.. does he like me? Does he like me more than you would like a normal friend? I mean, I tell my parents about normal friends. I like the boy. More than just liking as in being friends. Right? I mean, I think I do. He’s really cute and amazing and sweet but what If he doesn’t like me?’ I let out a loud sigh and responded to his text. I tried to respond casually, like every other person probably would answer. “Yeah J seems fun. What time lol” I sent before I noticed what I just did. “Really Jenna, did you really just text him the word lol.” I said out loud, mockingly saying the last word I said.

“I’ll pick you up around 5:30 if that’s good for you. Anything you don’t like to eat?” It was hard for me that Tyler didn’t really use smiley faces or emoji because well, I use them to much and I really suck at reading texts and seeing the intended emotion in them. I texted back that everything was okay, except for fish because I hate fish. I added a fish emoji and then put my phone away. I decided to send him a quick goodnight text so he’d know why I wouldn’t respond.  

I rested my head on my pillow and closed my eyes. My mind almost immediately wandered off to Tyler. I decided that I liked him. Was falling for him. Falling in love with him. I had thought it earlier, but I was getting more sure on the case day by day. I hadn’t known him that long, so it might just have been a crush, but for some reason, I hoped it wasn’t ‘just a crush.’ It felt like more than just a crush, it felt… special.

Tyler.

But the real issue was, did he like me? Honestly, I don’t see why he would. I’m not that special or something. Just average, and kind of boring. Also an emotional mess most of the time. I don’t see why he could possibly like me. I’m not exceptionally pretty, not exceptionally nice or smart, I didn’t really have any talents. I was just plain. No particular reason for him to like me.

But the things he did really made me think. The kiss on my forehead, the hugs, the things we talked about, we texted a lot, and also the invitation to eat at his house, and with that, him talking about me

I thought about my friendship with Scott. Obviously he talked about me at his house too and I had dinner at his house dozens of times, we talked about everything and hugged and all that but it felt different. I came to the conclusion that there was a tiny chance Tyler felt more for me than he would feel for a normal friend.

But then again, I didn’t even know what he was like with other friends. I forced myself to think he didn’t like me, and forced myself even harder to believe that I didn’t like him. This only to minimize the impact of possibly hurt feelings, I didn’t want to get more messed up emotions than I already had to deal with. Friendship.