Hope 6 : The Familiar Stranger

GISELLE'S POV :

Flashback ~ 11th century, Salem.

"Giselle! GISELLE! Come here at once!" My step mother's voice was blaring loud from the living room as I could hear it so clearly whilst being at the far back of the mansion. Immediately, I sprinted towards her, afraid of being scolded or punished again.

However, the very moment I reached the grand staircase that led to the living room below, a surprisingly familiar aura swept over me like a sudden breeze. A very tranquil ambience that I could only feel, at my mother's tombstone. My eyes automatically roamed all over the room, in the attempt of spotting the source of said aura when my eyes landed on a new figure among the usual others.

It was a man. Not too tall neither too short. His calloused hands were calmly clasped together at his back, like a fine gentleman. Fair amber shaded wavy curls fell right above his visibly broad shoulders, further flaunting his noble posture and possibly, features. I was quite glad that he had his firm back facing me while talking to Olivia. Otherwise, it'll be awfully embarrassing to be caught ogling at a stranger so obviously. I inhaled an adequate amount of fresh air before slowly exhaling it without a sound for composure as I descended the stairwell when the man suddenly chuckled.

The sound of it was quite alluring and it caught my breath for a moment as I momentarily stopped in my steps. To be honest, I didn't realize such a subtle act could cause said sudden effects either. Well... Since I'm not so used to associating with the opposite gender on a regular basis, excluding my father and the butlers, the presence of this stranger somewhat made me nervous, I assumed. Pushing my unending monologues to the back of my mind, I reached beside Abby as Olivia's sharp gaze shifted onto me.

"Well well, look who's finally here! It certainly took you ages to descend the steps, Giselle! You're well aware that I don't allow such discourteous attitudes towards guests, don't you, young lady?" My gaze remained glued to the floor in an effort of avoiding her deadly glares.

"Forgive me, mother." I apologized guiltily.

"I'm sorry, what did you say again?" She reacted in her usual sinister tone as I mentally slapped myself for the slip of my stupid tongue. Olivia insisted that I addressed her 'respectfully', whenever my father's not around. She definitely hated me calling her 'mother' and trust me, I hate it even more.

"Forgive me, my lady." Bracing myself a little, I finally lifted my head up to glance at my stepmother but instead, I was greeted by the most beautiful pair of deep blue eyes I've ever come across. They appeared so calm and captivating at the same time. The stranger was literally standing right before my face with Olivia blocked by his broad shoulders. An attractive smile that appeared slightly crooked at the tip of his lips was dancing on his handsome face.

"Giselle, meet Mr Mikaelson, a gentleman from the capitals. He had come a long way to Salem on some personal business and he's going to be my guest. I want you to look after his needs and necessities during his stay here and not a single thing should lack in our hospitality. Is that clear?"

"Yes, my lady." After responding to Olivia, I turned towards our guest and bowed politely.

"It's an honour to be at your service, Mr Mikaelson." I greeted without glancing at his distracting face but he stepped closer and took my hand in his. Causing a sudden flush of heat to highlight my cheeks immediately.

"The honour is all mine, love."

Words spilt out of his mouth so smoothly, like sweet honey. At the moment, I didn't care if my mind was over exaggerating the fact but he definitely had such an alluring accent that's way too hard to ever ignore... With those smooth words being spoken like a sweet serenade, he pressed a soft kiss on the back of my hand as his eyes instantly found mine again. Refusing to appear like the nervous mess I actually was, I restrained the wide grin that was hurting my mouth and forced out a polite smile instead.