Hope 15 : Beauty and the Beast

GISELLE'S POV:

A blissful smile was etched onto my lips as I slowly opened my heavy eyelids. A familiar melody was faintly ringing in my ears. Niklaus... He must be here, playing the piano. I realized how I've always been able to sense his presence anywhere. I attempted to get up when the music suddenly stopped, followed by the sound of hurried footsteps heading in my way. Shortly, a pair of firm arms slid beneath my back and straightened my posture while I came face to face with those breathtaking pair of blue orbs I saw in my dream.

"Sweet dreams, love?" He kissed my temple and settled beside me on the bed.

"Sweet memories..."

"Ehmm... Was it? Rebekah had mentioned that. Are those dead witches creeping you, angel?"

"They're called Spirits, Nik and they're not 100% dead either. It's their body that decayed. Their souls are still alive. Watching us. Only chosen witches get this privilege, you know? Most of the Strega witches are Spirits and most probably I'll become one too when I die."

Unless the Spirits decide to diminish my soul as I fail in my assigned task. I couldn't help but think as such when I noticed how he appeared inconvenient at the mention of my death.

"What plays in your dreams, love?" He tried to divert the topic, shifting to a more comfortable position.

"Our first encounter. Conversations. Most of them are from our times together, back in Italy." His muscles tensed at the reminder of the past as he exhaled a sad sigh.

"You're reminiscing the moments when I was a beast that knew no emotions."

Regardless of what others call him or how he claims himself to be, I've never once thought of him as a beast and I definitely never approved of addressing himself that way either. Regarding my unhappy reaction, he reached for my hands immediately.

"And... also the moments when you, my angel, entered my life." He flashed his most handsome smile in an attempt to cheer me up and it did lighten up my mood at once.

"I dreamed about our first kiss..." I half-whispered the words without meeting his eyes, hoping his hybrid senses had miraculously dysfunctioned. However, when I peeked a glance, I saw his perfect lips curving into a crooked smile while his eyes zeroed in on my lips.

"What, Niklaus?" Stifling the blush that's forming on my cheeks, I poked his arm rather violently.

For which, he simply laughed before shrugging his shoulders, feigning innocence before suddenly, he leaned in closer and caressed my face. Startled by the sudden intimacy, my oral abilities went offline and the images of my previous dream began to replay in my mind. Just when my anticipations were about to overtake my senses, he pulled away. His hand moved from my cheek and as the back of his palm settled on my forehead instead. That's when I realized that he was only checking my body temperature.

"Fever had gone down. How are you feeling now? Do you feel any soreness, love?" This time, his hand slid back to my cheek in slow motion as his fingers began stroking softly. Leaning into his lulling touch, I shook my head slowly. Out of the blue, tragic events from the previous night popped in my mind as I began panicking right away.

"Hayley! Oh God! How is she doing? Is she fine? Nik, I need to see her." I attempted to jump off the mattress but he held my shoulders firmly.

"Your daughter is just fine, angel. It's you in the need of complete leisure. You've been asleep for almost half a day." He checked his wristwatch again after making me lay back on the pillow. "It's almost evening now, love." That explained the extended dream period, I supposed.