She always smiled whenever she got a stuffed animal

"Sweet pea, we're going out to eat. Do you want to come?" My granddad peeks through the door.

I pull the covers up to my mouth and shake my head, "I haven't been in a restaurant since mine and mama's scene."

"I know, but she isn't here," he steps in my room and brushes off the dresser, then wipes the dust on his pants. He frowns, "she's still in jail, sweet pea."

I pull down the covers and look at him, "it's not your fault, you know? You didn't do anything wrong."

My granddad sighs and rubs his face, "I'm just scared you're going to go down the same path she did. I mean, you've already done cocaine and maybe more. I just worry about you because of the whole News media, drugs and what happened to Liberty."

I frown and look at the cluttered floor, "I'm sorry."

"If you're coming, start getting ready. Colton is coming, too," he slowly nods and walks out while slowly closing the door.

I pull the covers back up and close my eyes, but the door busts open and Colton storms in. I watch him as he yanks off his shoes and quietly curse.

I chew on my lip, "you okay?"

Colton stops messing with his shoes and shoots me a look, "I didn't know you were in here. Sorry."

I scrunch the covers up and hold them to my chest as I sit up, "you seem upset."

"I was talking to Mona about something and your friend decided to join in on the conversation and he basically was insulting me the entire time. Mona didn't say anything and I was trying to be the mature adult and leave, but Alec called me a pussy, laughed and lit a cigarette in my face."

I look down at the covers and try to hold back the laughter, but it slips out, "I'm sorry, but you got pissed about that?"

Colton glares at me, "yes, I did get pissed about that because I don't like getting called names and being around immature people." He stands up and changes into pajamas, then he puts his dirty clothes in the basket.

I raise my eyebrows and watch him lay on the end of the bed. I get out from underneath the covers and scoot over to him, "fuck 'em."

Colton lays his head in my lap and closes his eyes, "are you going with your grandparents?"

I shake my head and play with his hair, "I'm still not comfortable with restaurants. I thought you were going, though?"

"I was, but Alec kinda ruined my mood and I turned down the offer."

I tap his head, "I'm going to use the bathroom." Colton nods and gets up, then I get up after him and walk down the hall. I notice that Liberty's door is open and I gently push it, "what are you doing?"

"Oh, we're riding by Goodwill and I was going to drop off this stuff."

I walk in her room and pull the bag from my grandmother, then look inside. All her clothes and shoes are in there and a few stuffed animals. I throw down the bag and look in the other one which is filled with all of her stuffed animals, "I don't care if you give her clothes away, but don't you touch her stuffed animals!" I take the bag and storm into the bathroom.

I slam the door closed and slide down it with my head in my hands. I sniffle while I pull out some of her stuffed animals. I look at their plastic eyes and look at my reflection in them. I frown and put them aside and start digging for her teddy bear.

It's the last one in the bag and I wipe my tears as I remove it. I look at its torn body and how it's missing an eye; not the prettiest bear, but she loved it. I remember giving it to her; I got it out of a family's trash can because the mother thought it was 'ugly'.

I hug the bear and silently cry as I replay Liberty's words, I love you.

~

I wake up to knocking and I rub my eyes, "c'mon, Ryd. Open the door," Colton continues to knock on the door.

I put all the stuffed animals in the bag and open the door with a frown. Tears start rolling down my cheeks and I hug Colton.

He rubs my back, "it's okay," he kisses my forehead. "Do you want to talk about it?"

I shake my head and hug him tighter, "I just want her back."

"I know you do."

I frown and let go of Colton, so I can grab her stuffed animals and put them in my room. I put the bag in the closet, but I keep her teddy bear and I put it on the nightstand, then I crawl in the bed with a sigh, "are they at dinner?"

Colton nods and climbs in bed beside me, "your grandmother asked if she could take some of the stuffed animals to Goodwill. I didn't know what to say, so I just told her to leave them here."

I frown and nod, "thank you."

"Are you going to keep all of them?"

"Of course," I sniffle and fumble with the covers.

"Why all of them?"

I wipe my tears away and shrug, "she loved them equality and it's all I have left of her. All I see is her face in the hospital all scarred up with the oxygen tube on her and it's so depressing," I cover my face with my hands and cry, "but, she always smiled whenever she got a stuffed animal."

I'm crying right now. Oh my goodness. #RIPLiberty

But, on the brighter side: I have given you an update! I've been wanting to write for a week now and since today was teacher workday, I had the time. Even though I played the Sims for an unhealthy amount of time. Ahem.

Questions!

1.) Why do you think Alec hates/dislikes Colton?

2.) Do you blame Reed (Rydley's grandfather) for what happened to her mom?

3.) Do you have a special stuffed animal or item that you hold closely?

Comments, questions or concerns? Feel free to contact me(: