Trouble

"Alright, time to get up." Mona turns on the light.

I groan and shield my eyes.

"Get up. You're going to be late." She walks over and pulls the covers down.

"Fine, fine. I'm up." I struggle out of bed and rub my eyes, then look at Mona. Her red lipstick is smudged a little and she has a smile painted on her face. I roll my eyes, "I'm going to go brush my teeth."

"Well, hurry up. I don't want to keep your granddad waiting." Mona follows me and turns out the light before Liberty wakes up. She leans against the door frame, "I made you breakfast."

I look at her with the toothbrush hanging out of my mouth, "what is it?"

"Toast and eggs. Not much, but eh." She shrugs and smiles.

I smirk, "thanks."

She nods and walks back into her room. I finish brushing my teeth, then I wash my face off. I dry it off with a towel, then walk back into Mona's room.

She's tucked into bed with Liberty and she moves around as she hears me changing. She looks at me, "I like that top.

I straighten my white long-sleeved shirt and slip on my basic combat boots, "thanks. I'm going to eat and wait for granddad."

"Oh! I'll come with you." She climbs out of bed, then sleeps on a silk robe.

I nod, then head into the kitchen.

~

"Are you excited?"

I shrug and finish my cigarette while my granddad pulls up in his old pick-up truck. He waves through the window and I nod my head in the direction of the truck, "I guess that's my cue. I'll probably come back here tonight if that's okay?"

Mona nods, "of course."

I nod, then open up the door to the truck. I jump in and my granddad waves at Mona, "how are you, Mona?"

"I'm well. Thanks for asking. How are you?"

My granddad shrugs, "I'm alright. But, I gotta get Rydley down to the stables now. Nice talking to you again."

Mona nods, then walks back into the bar and I close the truck's door. My granddad puts the truck in drive and we start to roll down the street.

I prop my elbow on the window and rest my head in my hand. I close my eyes and hope for a few minutes extra of sleep.

"Ready for a long day?"

My granddad's voice makes me jump and I look at him, "yeah, sure. I guess." I close my eyes and yawn.

"His name is Chris. Good fella."

"Mhm," I nod as if I'm listening. I haven't woken up since school and I barely did that.

"Well, here we are. Look alive." He smiles at me, then parks the truck. We sit in the truck for a minute and I look around. There's horses in the pasture and a dog lying on the front porch. Everything is green and tidy as if it was freshly cut. "And, there he is." I follow my granddad's gaze and Chris is stuffing a last minute breakfast in his mouth.

We both climb out of the truck and Chris smiles at us, "mornin'."

My granddad chuckles, "look at you! Trying to sneak a few bites in before work."

Chris laughs, "can't help myself." He places his hands on his hips then looks at me up and down, "you've gotten so tall, girl!"

I give a fake smile, "amazing what a little food and water will do."