It's okay to dream

"Round two, let's go," Mona strips the covers from me and rubs my leg. I shake my head and squeeze my pillow. "C'mon, honey. You'll be okay."

I let out a hasty breath and slowly drag myself out of bed. My muscles are sore from lugging around horse manure and hay bails all day. I'm half asleep whenever I struggle to get to the bathroom and I have to keep my hand on the wall to keep me up. I dread today.

Alec walks out of my room and looks at me, "morning, sunshine."

I rub my eyes, "why are you up? It's like five in the morning."

He nods, "nice observation. But, there's free breakfast at this diner down the street. I'm all for food and stuff being free." He smiles and stretches his arms above his head and his armpit hair flashes me.

He's wearing a muscle tee with a lion on it with its mouth open and gray pants, then his combat boots. He tops it all off with a leather jacket and a lit cigarette in his mouth. I bite on my lip and try to hide my facial expression the best that I can. I smirk, "muscle tees are for muscles," I walk into the bathroom and close the door.

I love that style. I look at myself in the mirror and run my hands across my face, then grab my toothbrush. I wet it, apply toothpaste and start brushing my teeth.

~

I throw on my old torn shirt along with jeans, then tie up my combat boots. I walk out and into the kitchen and sit with Mona. She slides me some buttered toast and I take a bite, then walk outside to wait for my granddad.

I finish the toast before I even make it outside. I lean against the building and light a cigarette, "I'm dreading today."

"Body sore?"

I nod, "hell yeah. I'm all for getting a job for money and stuff, but damn. If I can't feel my arms there's a problem." I smirk.

Mona smiles, "you'll get used to it."

"Yep," I nod.

"What did you do yesterday?"

I sigh out my cigarette smoke, "uh..I washed a horse and cleaned out fifteen stalls. I have to do the other side today, but he said he has a friend that would help." I shrug.

Mona laughs and shakes her head.

I look at her, "what?" She shakes her head again, "I want a good laugh."

"I saw you looking at my nephew."

I smile and put my cigarette out, "I'm not dead; I can still look." The smoke rolls out of my mouth and the wind takes it away.

Mona yawns, then it fades into a smile, "here's your ride."

I push myself off the building and stroll over to my granddad. Mona and my granddad exchange smiles and a quick wave, then we're on our way.

~

"Ready?"

I nod and hop out of the truck, "as I'll ever be." I whisper out, then walk to the stables. My granddad honks the horn and I wave from behind.

"Mornin'." Chris smiles and steps out of a stall.

I give my best heart warming smile, "morning." I grab the shovel and place it in the wheelbarrow, then I roll it over to the last stall I got to.

Chris chuckles, "my friend said he'll come by today and help ya with the stalls you did yesterday. I talked to him a few minutes ago and he'll be here around thirty."

I nod and start shoveling out the horse manure, then throw it into the wheelbarrow, "thanks."

He nods, "his name is Matthew." My head shoots up and I look at Chris who's petting a horse. He looks over to me and points, "be nice. I heard you have a temper."