California dude

"Sweet pea," my granddad rubs my back. I wake up a little and look at him. "Supper's done. Salmon patties, macaroni, and green beans."

I turn my head back over and lay there for a few minutes, then I strive to get out of bed. I rub the crust out of my eyes and walk out of the bedroom and into the bathroom. I wash my face with cold water to wake up, then I make my way to the dining table.

Liberty and my grandparents are already sitting at the table with food on their plates. I take it that they're all waiting on me, so I slide into the dining chair and load my plate up with food. I grab my fork and stab a green bean, then my grandmother clears her throat. I look at her, "what?"

"We need to say the blessing. Reed, would you like to?"

My granddad nods and they all lower their heads. I roll my eyes and follow suit.

"Thank you, Lord, for this loving meal you gave us tonight on your fine Earth. Thank you for everything you do for us and everything you will give us," my granddad stops to clear his throat and I reach up to the plate and pop a green bean in my mouth. "Amen."

I finish chewing the green bean and try to hide my smile, "amen." I pick my fork back up and try to eat again. I eat the food so fast that I barely taste it, but it probably tastes amazing because my grandmother made it and she's an amazing cook.

"Slow down, Rydley." My grandmother says between spoonfuls of macaroni.

I take a breath and straighten up my back, then move my elbows off the table. I give a fake smile, "is this better?" I flutter my lashes.

"I told you to slow down, not to have table etiquette. Stop being a smart alike."

I slump back down and throw my elbows on the table, which make the water in the glasses rock back and forth. I push my macaroni around, "stop telling me what to do."

"I just told you to slow down," my grandmother lets out a hasty breath. "Whatever. Enjoy your food."

I smirk, then shovel a spoonful of macaroni in my mouth.

"Can you make my favorite meal for my birthday?" Liberty asks my grandmother with a questioning smile.

"Of course. We might have to go the store, though." My grandmother smiles back.

"What's your favorite meal?" I look at Liberty and her blonde hair is pulled up in a ponytail. Her hair is long enough to reach her shoulders and it's gotten wavier.

"Potatoes."

I smirk, "just potatoes? Hey, if I'm 'Sweet pea' she can be 'Potato head'." I nudge my granddad and smile.

"That was mean, Rydley. But, do you want just potatoes?" My grandmother looks at her. "How bout your other favorite meal? Ugh, the name escaped me." She holds the bridge of her nose. "Quesadillas!"

Liberty nods and finishes the last few bites of the salmon patty. I roll my eyes and pinch off a piece, "how come you didn't make my favorite meal for my  birthday?"

"You never told me to and I don't know what your is. Besides, she's turning an important number tomorrow." My grandmother smiles at Liberty, and she returns it.

"She's turning fourteen. I turned eighteen. Did I get anything for my legal adult party? No. Y'all will probably get her a damn car!"

"Get your own car, Rydley. Like you said, you're a legal adult and you need to get a job." She glares at me.

"You're just pissy that I put your precious daughter in jail. But, you know what?" I stand up and my chair flies back. "Fuck you," I point at my grandmother, then my grandfather. "And fuck you." I grab my shoes and storm outside.