Because it is one

I dilly-dally while walking home. I take the long way around and end up getting lost. I had to ask for directions to get back, then I mooched a cigarette off the guy. The cigarette was gone before I turned the corner.

I scrape the crust out of my eyes and walk down my sidewalk. A few people are sitting on their porches drinking coffee and smoking cigarettes. Right on. I give a cold-hearted smile and nod in their direction.

I walk up the driveway and the cat that scratched Liberty is lying in the yard. I jump and hiss at it, then push my hair back and my grandmother storms outside with my granddad at her side. She points at me like I've committed a crime, "there she is! Where have you been, young lady?" She marches down the porch steps.

I roll my eyes and at the rising sun. I slide my tongue over my top teeth, then look at her. "Out." I push passed her and walk up the steps.

"Oh, no, you don't!" My grandmother follows me, then blocks my way of walking inside. I lean against the post and cross my arms. "You didn't go to that party, did you?"

"So what if I did? Believe me, I didn't do shit at that party." I look at my grandparents. "Why don't y'all trust me?"

"We do, sweet pea." My grandfather places his hand on my shoulder for a reassuring gesture. I glare at him and shrug his hand off. He takes a step back and takes a deep breath, "it's just that..Mona's nephew is in town and he isn't the best crowd to hang out with. We didn't want you to go to that party and get drunk because we know it's hard for you."

I suck on the inside of my cheek, "just because there's some new hot shot in town doesn't mean I'm gonna go out and do speed." I let out the breath I was holding and stomp down the steps.

"Rydley, wait!" My grandmother follows me down the driveway and pulls me into a hug. "It's okay if you want to be friends with him; just be careful."

I push her off, "fuck off."

~

I usher the cigarette up to my chapped lips and look at Alec, "my grandparents say you're bad company."

He smirks and rubs his chin, "and what do parents say about you? Heard you have sticky fingers." He smiles.

"Used to. My mom caught me and beat my ass, so I haven't done it since. Which is good, I guess, but it was nice having the money."

"Oh! So, you didn't casually stick things in your shirt or panties, you stole money instead?" He laughs.

I smile and blow smoke out. It bounces around in the air for a minute, then floats off into a greater space. I laugh a little bit, "casually stick things in my panties?"

He smiles and shrugs, "did you do that?"

I laugh and shake my head.

"I stole before."

I smirk, "what did you steal? And don't say some girls virginity, because I have a feeling you will."

"That and I stole some beer from a gas station." He laughs.

I chuckle, "they should lock you up. I feel threatened sitting right here."

"You should." Alec nudges me and smiles, then his smile turns less playful. "The real question is: would you do it again?"

I put out my cigarette and lay it in the ashtray. I look down on the bar countertop and bite on my nails, then slowly nod. "Yeah, I would." I stop biting my nails and I look at Alec, "but I wouldn't do it for me."

His eyebrows fling up, "who would you do it for?"

"Liberty," I bite on my nails. "My sister. Her birthday is coming up, as you know, and I would love to get her something more than makeup, but with what money?" I dig through Alec's cigarette pack and light another one. "And I would love to go with her to get new clothes and whatever else, but she doesn't like me that much."

Alec takes my cigarette and catches a hit from it, "why? Fall-out?"

I close my eyes and shake my head, "I don't even know. My granddad says it's the age and shit, which I don't understand." I dig my hands into my hair and let out a breath, "how can someone just wake up and have nothing to do with you when you've been there through fucking everything?"

"I'm not sure, but it's gonna be okay." Alec gives me a warm smile and awkwardly pats my back.

I frown and slide out of the barstool, "whatever." I drift out of the bar and walk around aimlessly on the sidewalk. I watch my feet stagger as I walk and I frown more. I keep the attention to myself for a moment, then I shift it over to my phone. I dial in Colton's number and wait for him to pick up.

It rings five times, then I'm switched to voicemail. I take a deep breath and look around, "Hey, Colton. I just feel pretty bummed out because I'm a piece of shit. Ha, but, I miss you and I'll talk to whenever-" I freeze and look at the man who Liberty resembles.

I slowly back up and run down to the bar. Tears fill my eyes and I can't see where I'm going, but I make my legs go faster to get farther away from my dad.

I push through the double wooden doors and I run into Alec. He catches me before I hit the ground, "are you okay?" He pushes my hair back. "Mona!"

"Quit hollering. Whatcha want?" Mona walks out from the bedrooms fumbling with her shirt. She looks up, then runs over to Alec and me. "What happened?"

I break down into Alec's chest and cling to him, "don't let him touch me." I whisper out. "Please, don't let him touch me." It's as faint and sincere as a prayer because it is one.