How many girls do you see a night

I roll out of bed and stumble to the bathroom. The door is closed and locked, so I knock on the door and tell whoever is in there to hurry up. I lean against the wall across from the bathroom and wait for them to come out.

Liberty opens the door and looks at me. I walk in the bathroom and before she could grab her toothbrush, I interrupt her. "I need to ask you something," I look in the mirror and run my hands across my face. "What do you want for your birthday?"

She looks at me through the mirror and shrugs, "I don't know."

I bounce my head side to side with my lips pursed, then I grab my toothbrush, "I asked, so don't get upset when you don't get anything from me."

"Would you really get me something?" She narrows her eyes and looks at me.

I shrug and brush my teeth. Of course, I would get you something. 

~

"What should I get Liberty for her birthday?"

My grandfather takes a sip from his coffee and looks at the front yard, "what does she like?"

I bite on my fingernails and follow his gaze. A stray cat is laying in the middle of the yard. I look at my grandfather, "I don't know. She never talks to me."

"She might be getting to that age where it's 'uncool' to be seen with your family." He chuckles a little, then takes another sip from his stained coffee mug.

I stare at him, "she's turning fourteen."

He smiles and nods.

"Then, I'll get her whatever a fourteen would want," I bite my nails. "What would that be?"

He shakes his head and trails back inside. I look at the door and blow out some air, then I look back at the cat. I get up and walk over to it.

The cat slowly opens its eyes and looks at me, then it flicks its black tail around. I smirk and walk around the cat and head to the bar.

~

"I have nothing to give that girl," I fumble with a napkin. "I mean, she never talks to me! I don't know what she likes."

Mona laughs a little and slides me a glass of water, "she's your sister. Just ask her what she would want."

I stop fumbling with the napkin, so I can cool my hands on the cold glass. I look at the water and condensation for ideas. "I did this morning. She was like 'would you really get me something?'" I mock her voice.

"What did you say?"

I shrugged, "nothing."

Mona places her elbows on the bar and leans forward, then back. "What does she need?"

I take a breath and tap on the bar with my skeletal index fingers, "belts. I'm tired of seeing her walking around pulling up her shorts and pants."

Mona motions a hand around and smiles, "there. You found a gift."

I shake my head, "she hates belts."

"Why?"

I bite on my nails and stare at the bar top, "she got abused with them."

Mona makes an o shape with her mouth and slowly nods. She looks at the door and shrugs, "I don't know, honey. Just ask her."

I groan and dig my hands into my head, "I do every fucking thing I can for that girl and she repays me by not talking to me. I don't know what I did so wrong?"

"Okay, when's her birthday?"

I pick at my fingernails, then roll my shoulders to pop my back. "Next week. Eighteenth."

She nods, then smiles at her shirtless nephew stumbling over to the bar stools. He slides into the seat and scratches his head. 

I raise my eyebrows at Mona and wait for an answer.

She slaps the bar counter, "get her some makeup!" She nods and smiles to herself like she found the missing phrase to Wheel of Fortune.

I smirk and twist my glass around on the coaster, "I'll get her that then. Thanks."

There's an awkward silence between everyone until Mona's nephew lights a cigarette. I stare at him, then get up to move away from the smoke.

I walk over to Mona who is wiping down the table tops with a torn cloth. I cross my arms over my chest and lean on one leg, "I see you gave away my bed to your nephew."

She smiles, "you don't sleep here anymore and his mama needed time to herself."

I smile and look at her nephew, then look at the table tops, "is he a bad child?"

She tilts her head to the side and shrugs, "at times." She walked passed me to put the cleaning supplies back in the cabinet. "But, you shouldn't be talking." She smiles at me.

I smile and follow her back to the bar, "I think I've changed." I shrug and look at the cigarette her nephew is holding.

He motions his cigarette towards me, "want a hit?" He's voice is deep

I stare at it and wipe my tongue over my teeth. I slowly take it from his fingers and breathe in the smoke. I physically and mentally feel a weight lift off my shoulders.

He smiles and holds out his hand, "Alec. You're the girl from the other night?"

I take another hit and shrug, "depends. How many girls you see a night?"

He smirks, "a few."

I lift an eyebrow and copy his smirk, "Rydley." I flick the ashes in the ashtray and lean against the counter.

"You're here early for the beer." He puts his arms on the counter and look straight ahead while locking his hands together.

I put the cigarette out and blow the smoke away, "I don't drink."

"Yeah? You look like a drinker, in my opinion."

I grit my teeth and my jaw tenses up, "yeah, well, you look like an asshole to me." I push myself off the counter and storm out the bar, then walk home.

~

I kick around the rocks and my shirt sticks to my back from the sweat. I grab the end of my shirt and strip out of it. All that remains is a black tanktop and bruises on my shoulders.

I keep kicking rocks and one hits a house. Oops. I keep walking down the cracked sidewalk and I get called out of my thoughts, "Rydley? Is that you?"