Blood of A Seeker -31-

Start from the beginning

As if on cue, another piercing scream burst through the air yet it was cut short unlike the first. I whipped around, momentarily distracted from the scene below and was relieved to find a brilliant jet of blue blow up in the air in the northern side of Fairwyn. That was Peter’s area. Like father, like daughter.

“Two more,” I muttered, lowering myself and swiped my arms to the side, releasing a large crackling ball of orange and released it at the Seekers below. Jocelyn nor her father had given the signal that they’d found Tucker. The Seekers were no doubt about to grow more ruthless and with three Queens still left to be killed, we had to be quick.

Faster than I’d expected, another shriek burst through the air, signalling the death of yet another Queen Seeker before a spurt of red spiralled through the air stylishly: Rosemarie’s signal.

I frowned, wondering when Katherine’s would come up. Please hurry, I thought nervously. Come on Katherine –

My brow creased and all of my thoughts trailed off at the sudden silence washing over the Council Hall area I hovered above. There was not a single sound, no sound of protests, pain or even a wretched Seeker’s wail.

I averted my gaze below, eyes widening as far as they possibly could.

A lone figure – undoubtedly the Queen – stepped forward. Her piercing red eyes glared up at me from a hundred metres below where the team of Chroma had been captured; three Seekers to one.

“Chroma, you come down here and give me the information that may spare their lives,” she shouted in a booming voice which reached my ears with ease.

From my right, a brilliant jet of white twirled through the air, signalling Katherine’s success – but no other indication of having found Tucker. Trusting that the others had searched thoroughly, this left only one possibility: this was Tucker’s Queen. Now the bane of my existence.

I placed the dagger into my pocket and tucked my tunic over top. Slowly, I came down and cautiously put up walls to separate myself from the Seekers as I stood face to face with the Queen.

Unlike the other Seekers who took on humanoid forms, the Queen was much taller, much slimmer and much fiercer. Rugged. Ancient. She reminded me of a starving, carnivorous animal. Her red eyes were bigger than most and her features were perfectly symmetrical. There was not a flaw on her skin nor her face but everything about her screamed danger and bloodshed.

“Tell me where I can find the reader of the ancient language.” Her voice rang out clearly, a sense of power leaking through her tone.

“Let them go,” I growled, igniting my hands again and held them up defensively. “And I will spare you.”

She barked out a laugh and narrowed her red eyes at me. “You think you can defeat a Seeker who has been around since the creation of the first Queen?”

I pressed my lips into a grim line then nodded curtly. “Yes, in fact I’m willing to bet on it.” Be careful Lex. She might just hold Tucker’s life in her hands.

“You are no threat,” she seethed. “Tell me where the reader of the ancient language is and I will spare this town.”

Growls and hisses reverberated throughout the crowd of Seekers fanned out behind her while the captured Chroma gave me urgent looks, begging to be released from the faces of death.

“What do you mean ‘reader of the ancient language’?” I questioned slowly, lowering my hands but kept my guard up, prepared to use any code necessary. But I was more itching to ask about Tucker. If he wasn’t found with the other hives then why couldn’t I see him here?