Blood of A Seeker -8-

I smiled wryly at their monotonous expressions and grinned when they leapt into action.

Katherine was the first to move and obviously acting as the Seeker – her movements were much fiercer and without a single act of hesitance in every strike. Despite how Katherine was lashing out so randomly, Jocelyn’s rehearsed and dodges and blocks showed the effort the two had put in to make sure every movement was specifically timed with precision.

I held in a breath when Katherine’s foot came rocketing for Jocelyn when she had blocked a punch but left her side open. A breath of relief escaped me when Jocelyn had parried the blow with a flick of her hand but I caught the disguised wince on her face and the apologetic look Katherine had shot her.

Yet they still went on.

The more they fought, the more interested the Specialists got – they obviously saw things in the routine which I couldn’t or I had just become too accustomed to their graceful, flowing moves to really notice what they could.

“Once they’re finished you can go down to the library and knock yourself out,” Rosemarie offered in a low tone, her green eyes glued to the blonde and brunette having at each other. “Kay?”

I gave her a curt nod and rested my chin on my hands, eyes following the darting figures in front. Small talk was made at some of the tables including the one I sat at, all discussing the impressive techniques and the show that the two students were putting on.

Judging by Jocelyn’s slow smug-turning expression, she could hear the compliments heading her way while Katherine remained completely focused.

Jocelyn suddenly flipped gracefully above Katherine with a blast of yellow launching her towards the high ceiling of the room. She landed on the balls of her feet and spun around all too quickly, kicking the back of Katherine’s knees. The older girl’s legs buckled and Jocelyn immediately took advantage of this, pinning her to the floor.

The two girls were already breathless and Katherine was red in the face. Despite that this was the end,  they still seemed competent enough to go on. Jocelyn helped Katherine up and once they took a bow, the whole room exploded into applause, dragging me along with it just to be polite.

“Well done,” one of the Keepers exclaimed with a beaming smile. “Very professional, very agile and very good use of techniques. You’ve all done a wonderful job.”

Katherine blushed modestly and Jocelyn soaked in the praise. “Thank you – but we haven’t finished.”

One of the figures to my left stood up from the Keeper table and strolled around, tapping his stubbly chin thoughtfully. Though the greying pigment of his hair detected old age, his face remained hard and energetic. “It’s obvious these two girls are very skilled Chromas when it comes to combat and their gift but I’d like to see another being challenged.”

I frowned in confusion. Huh? What did he mean? As far as I knew, this wasn’t expected, especially with the looks on Jocelyn and Katherine’s faces.

“I want to see Sage Weston fight Katherine,” the same Keeper announced with a scrutinizing tone. “Katherine and Jocelyn can fight, now let’s see Sage.”

I blanched, clutching the edge of my comfortable seat tightly. I felt compelled to shake my head and run out of the room as the full attention of all the Specialists had landed on me: it was nauseating.

“She hasn’t practised these methods just yet,” Mr. Harvey spoke up quickly and gave me a reassuring look. “She’s not ready.”

“But she’s been catching up quite well, hasn’t she?” he questioned and gave me a speculating stare. “She should have learned from that performance otherwise she does not belong in such a high-levelled group.”