Part 15: Old school romance

"You're not seriously  considering this, Stevie?" Karen asked as Stevie just revealed her news on moving in with Lindsey to his condo on the beach. "Stevie, do you have any idea what you'd do if you one day woke up and found yourself living with Lindsey? And on top of that - you want to sell this home! I know that you're your own person but, Stevie, I can't let you do that."

"I love him, Karen, it's everything  that I want," Stevie took a sip of the wine they were sharing in the Living room.

"Yeah, you love him right now but just what do you think could happen if you wake up and see a ring on your finger, Lindsey in your bed, and your home is gone? You're going to flip and I'm trying to help you!"

"I don't have time for this, Karen, it's what I want. I also don't think I'll be needing you anymore after the move, Lindsey is perfectly capable of taking care of me."

Karen scoffed, "You're insane. That's insanity! You need  me, Stevie! Who will take care of your bills? Who will assist you when you're on tours and can't handle everything on your own? How could you even think   about letting me go?"

"Because I'm leaving music. Why should I be any part of that if I can't even remember why I loved it in the first place?"

"This is your life. Music is your life! Stevie, you gave up children for this! This is all you've ever wanted! You've read the articles, haven't you?! This has GOT to stop! You're not well!"

Stevie stood, "And what if I never get back to who I once was, huh? Is any of that even going to matter?!"

"Please, Stevie," Karen stood with her, "...move in with him, fine, but please don't marry or sell this house. I beg you."

Looking out the window, Stevie kept getting the same reactions from everyone that she knew, and began to wonder if they were right but her heart seemed to be pointing in this direction. She needed Lindsey and she felt so out of place in a large space of a home. It didn't appeal to her and but then there were the possibilities of her gaining her life back, would losing this house really be that big of a deal? Would her old self be happy to find out she was married and living with Lindsey? Everything was too much for her to process, heading off in to her room as she had to be alone. Maybe she was taking too big of a risk.

***

Lindsey looked at all the beautiful rings at the jewelers, trying to find the one that caught his eye that had Stevie's name written all over it. He must have looked through hundreds of rings and then they all began to look the same, finally finding this incredibly antique looking ring that concealed a beautiful green stone. Emerald was her birth stone and the way the white gold clung to it, he had to have it! This was it. This was the ring that he was going to propose to Stevie with but first he had to officially get those divorce papers in order. Kristen hadn't spoke to him since she kicked him out, his children only talking to him on the phone and they all missed each other, but the fact that the first woman that he had ever loved was back in his life...Lindsey was not about to let her go. Never again.

His plan was to get to his lawyer, go over everything that pertained to this divorce, then get the papers sent off to Kristen. Once she signed them, he would ask Stevie for his hand. It would be the first thing he'd do the moment he received her signature.

***

He watched as the moving van pulled up in to the lot. This was it. This was happening. Stevie was moving in with him but what exactly would she be bringing? He knew that the old Stevie would have millions upon millions of things but the truck wasn't that big. Was she only bringing so much at a time?