Part 12: Changes

Lindsey had dropped Stevie off at her home in Malibu, he had a lot of work to do with a friend's album, and Karen had requested her boss's presence. She felt that Stevie deserved a little girl time and took her out for a day at her favorite salon; getting a manicure, pedicure, massage, and a trim. Stevie's hair was definitely not being kept up the way she usually would, the ends were a bit frayed and she was in need of a dye. Karen knew that the old Stevie wouldn't approve of how her image was being neglected and so her assistant made sure to get those things done for her. Stevie seemed to enjoy every bit of it, loving how her hair looked so much healthier with the dead ends gone. She wasn't too keen on getting the dye done only because she was feeling restless but was overall happy with her appearance, thanking Karen as they then went on to one of her favorite coffee shops. Karen told Stevie that she would order her usual, Stevie not having a clue to what she was talking about but enjoyed it anyway.

"Karen," Stevie began as they sat in a quiet area of the shop, "...am I bossy with you? Was I a good boss and did we get along?"

"Well, you were a bit anal about some things and if you came on a little strong - you defintely would apologize. You're a very warm hearted person, Stevie," touching her hand from across the table. "You're gifted and very special. I've known you for many years and you've given me so much. It's just really bothering me how you're not showing any signs of recovery."

"Lindsey says that it'll take time but he believes in me," looking out the window at the many people passing by.

Sighing, Karen touched her hand again. "Stevie, you're playing with fire..."

"What do you mean?"

"You and Lindsey, it's not something I would suggest feeding on or getting used to...He's a man and they always think that the grass is greener on the other side, or they want to have their cake and eat it, too. Of course he's enjoying having two women! What man wouldn't? Lindsey has been know to be a little promiscuous when it came to his female fans - the very busty young blonde fans that is! Don't take anything that he says seriously..." leaning back in to her chair.

"I don't understand, he says that he loves me and to trust him," Stevie placed her hands around her mug.

"Let's be realistic, honey, he's not free to love more than what he already has. He's committed to his wife and children. It'll always be that way til he dies."

"Everyone confuses me but him...My own brother tried to turn me away from him and now you, I just don't understand why," looking at her assistant with glossy eyes.

"Because we know that it's just going to lead to pain and heartache, this is why you distanced yourself from him in the first place. The night of your accident, you were frantic and telling me how you were going to break off your physical relationship with him because he had already told you he would never divorce. You were a mess and I'll just never forget the pain in your eyes..."

"He...He said that? He said that he would never divorce for me?"

"That's what you told me, yes, so I was going to say...I'd like you to come back to your home in Malibu, really get yourself away from him for a while. I know you've felt comfort there but the main reason on why I had him take you in was because I was not physically capable of helping you yet. I'm fully healed from the accident now, Stevie, and I would like to welcome you back home."

Stevie didn't know what to say, she absolutely loved how things had built to a very passionate level with Lindsey. He made her feel so beautiful, wanted, loved, and special but was Karen right?

***

"What do you mean you're leaving?" Lindsey questioned as they got back to his house near Los Angeles.