Part 5: ...and what you lost

Like Lindsey said, it was going to be a long flight to his home in California. Stevie was stricken with anxiety once the plane began to lift up off the ground, Lindsey having to hold on to her hand and give her a piece of gum to keep her ears from popping. It was so sad to see this once brave female become so dependent on other people. What a shame and if he ever got a hold of the person that hit her limo that night, he'd ring their neck. It was just that Stevie had to be willing to press charges and Lindsey knew the police had the name of the drunk driver that hit her, she just had to give the go when to bring them to court. All Lindsey wanted was for Stevie to get well first, not to be involved in any drama as she recovered.

On the flight to the states, Lindsey talked to Stevie about his three children and about how they would react once they saw her. His youngest daughter and Stevie had a secret hand shake and Lindsey had to teach her how to do it all over again, knowing that Stella would not remember that Stevie was temporarily not herself. It took Stevie a few tries but she got it down and was quite proud of herself.

Landing was just as hard for Stevie as the take off, once again gripping on to Lindsey's hand as they reached land. She had slept most of the way but was wide awake once they reached their destination. It was nearing mid morning by the time they got in to a car to be driven to Stevie's home in Malibu, her not believing that she owned such a beautiful place.

"Is - is that mine?" looking out the window as they pulled up to the gate, Lindsey having to jump out of the vehicle to put in the access code.

"Yes, the whole place is yours. Nice, huh?" taking her hand as he kissed it, the driver pulling up to the front door and Stevie jumping out before the driver could even open his own door.

"Oh, wow..." Stevie stood in awe as she looked up at the beautiful mansion, Sulamith being carried out by Lindsey.

The driver placed their luggage on to the front steps and then Lindsey gave him a tip and hand shake, leaving the two love birds to themselves as he drove away.

"You've always had expensive taste," Lindsey nudged her, making her smile. "There's more to the house than the outside, come on," taking her hand, "They keys are in your purse, so I would assume."

Stevie handed her purse over to him, too enthralled with her residence, trying to peek in through the windows and Lindsey shaking his head at her. She was too cute for words as he then began to search through her purse, assessing that she had too much junk then finally finding a pair of keys with a Yorkie keychain. He found the right key as the door opened and Sulamith was placed down as she ran in to the house, Lindsey picking up all their luggage from over seas and placing it in the hall.

"Well, princess, you can access your castle now," he joked with her as she stepped slowly through the front door with him trailing behind her. He closed and locked the door behind them and placed his hands on to her shoulders as she stood frozen, a large chandelier overhead catching her attention.

"This must cost a fortune," staring up at the large ceilings.

"Yeah, well, you are worth a fortune - quite a fortune at that," taking her hand as they walked through the house.

"Where's my bedroom?" turning to face Lindsey.

"Up those stairs, are you sure you can walk them?" pointing to the round staircase.

"I don't see why not," heading in the direction of the stairs as Lindsey followed, making sure that he could catch her if she lost her balance.

As they got closer to the top, Stevie slowed down, Lindsey picking her up in to his arms as he took her to the top step, placing her back down as she began to look through all the doors. "Your bedroom is the one down the hall to the right," directing her.