one

this book is the sequel to
working with jace

|x•x|

It was the Summer that I neared seventeen. I had six months to myself. Six months without work, six months to be traveling, going to festivals, being with my friends.

Instead I was starting to spend my six months trying to sort my feelings out within the familiar depths of my house.

"You want to get back together?"

"It's your call..." I search for hope within Jaces eyes.

He remains on the couch across from me, uncomfortable as he sits. I had invited him over to talk things through about a month ago. He just recently complied.

"It's just that, Veronica and I..."

"You two are together?"

"Yeah- well I mean we're not, together, but we've, hung out a few times"

"You like her?"

"I'm not sure"

"Okay?"

He sighs,
"I miss you, Emily"

My heart flutters,the sentence rolling carelessly off his lips.

"Me too- you"

"But I think I've, moved on."

"How do you move on that quickly" I refrain from my voice cracking. I refused to cry in front of him anymore. But I was hurting.

"I haven't" he sighs, running his hands through his hair, staring aimlessly at the ground
"I mean I want to, but"

"You haven't?"

He shakes his head.

"Give me another chance"

"Emily, you cheated on me"

"I messed up"

He remains silent, the room only consisting of my sigh, I search his eyes from some leniency, but it doesn't show. I was going to try to talk my way into this one.

"Look, I know you may have moved on. But just let me get out one thing- okay? And then you can go"

He nods, his body looking uncomfortable at what was to come his way.

"I miss you. And I don't know if it's you, or the thought of you that I want, but I know I want something. I want to not get that sting of jealousy every time I see you with someone else anymore. I hated seeing you and Veronica together, because it was my own fault. I want that to be me. I was stupid and-"

"You hurt me"

"I know" my voice sinks,
"I never wanted to hurt you"

"I want you to say it"

The words that left his mouth stunned me, was he going to make it that easy?

"What?"

"I want you to say it"

"I love you" I hesitate

My mind landed on the words that he wanted, and in some way I knew it was what he wanted, because it was what I would have wanted.

He nods, getting up to sit next to me,
"I love you too"

I sit silently, not knowing what move to make next, but he speaks it for me.
"Now kiss me"

"...What?" My eyebrows raise.

"Take control this time. Kiss me"

"You're serious?"