Numb Belligerence

Start from the beginning

Cecilia observed carefully and noted the tone of her voice, aware that there was something she hid, but did not ask. Faeries are not really prone to deception, but as far as she could tell, Hailey was too different from the others that she had grown cautious - almost; her focus had always been perfect and from the way others have spoken about her - namely her mentor, Narene.

They kept their gaze at each other and wondered who would break it first, but Cecilia could already see the change of emotion in her eyes; tired as they were, there was still something different from her from her usual chirpiness. Smiling, Cecilia nodded as she sat up properly and took a deep breath.

I thought she was going to ask some more, Hailey sighed mentally whilst she closed her eyes before she clasped her fingers on each other - one finger touching the tips of the other - then took a deep breath to resume her meditation. She did not expect for her focus to break from the memory she recalled - the flashback - that felt all too real for her; she had hoped that she had forgotten that tragic night, but apparently she did not.

This will repeat.

She recalled the words in her memory that made her exhale through her nostrils; it made her worry and wonder at the same at whom it could be. She still does not know who could possible die just from getting close to her and the thought alone nauseated her as much as it made her a bit dizzy; her bowels have begun to swirl, enough for her to smell her lunch.

Damn, she cursed mentally as her eyelids sprang up as much as she scrambled on her feet and began to run; her bowels had erupted and allowed bile to reach her throat. Hailey ran to a tree as she heard Cecilia call out to her, but could not respond with her palm over her mouth as if preventing it from escaping her tightly sealed lips.

Hanging her head, she felt a rush of blood to rise up as much as her innards escaped her mouth and excreted a rancid smell. The chicken noodles she had two hours ago was all over the roots of the pine tree and coloured it with yellow; the barf slowly crawled down and almost touched her dirty red chucks.

"Okay, now I know something is definitely wrong with you," Cecilia spoke as she rubbed Hailey's back whilst offering her a kerchief to wipe her mouth, "You and I gotta talk."

Hailey coughed the last out and took a deep breath, "No, we don't."

"Look, kid," Cecilia shook her head as she watched Hailey straighten up and took her kerchief, "You've been quiet for four days now," she told her, "You've been like that since the day I broke your kiss with Kathie."

Hailey halted for a moment at the recollection before she looked away, then paced back to where they were before. There was a pain in her heart that she could not define, but was certain that Katherine was the cause; it was not that she hated her, it was because she was afraid.

The memory she recalled not too long ago scared to her bone - another reason for her to stay away from Katherine. But can she? They stay together under one roof and for her to avoid her was inevitable; they were bound to meet anywhere they go, but now that Katherine had a wheelchair it might be possible.

This will repeat.

Biting her tongue, Hailey tried not to recall the memory and regurgitate her guts out once again; she has had enough of it for one day. Taking an abrupt stop from her path, she took a deep breath to calm down and tried to find the words to soothe her mind from unrest, but the smell of her own barf made her head ache.

You think too much, child. Get some rest.

"I should," Hailey whispered as she exhaled softly and turned around to find Cecilia eyeing her curiously, "How bout we take a break and I'll talk?"