What Friends Are For

Start from the beginning

"I should get to class. Don't want to uh have your mom questioning my behavior." Michelle said. Though she loved talking with Javon, she also enjoyed being prompt and early. She will never let anyone, not even Javon, interrupt her goals.

He took a step back, laughing. "You're right. Mom will go nuts, and ask me if there's any boys or drugs involved in your three second slowness." They both shared a laugh before silence fell over. Michelle glanced around the almost empty hallway, then at Javon to find him staring. She turned her head quickly. Her body heating at the sight of that. "This weekend." Michelle glanced up. "This weekend, allow me to take you to do dinner. For uh you know your birthday."

Michelle's face lit with excitement. Her body shook with rattling nerves. Did he just-did he just ask her on like a date? Was this a date? No, this can't be a date. This was just dinner with a close friend. Who cares he asked her to dinner. Michelle did not even try to play off her excitement, she couldn't hold it.

"Dinner? Great! Just text me the details." This could not be happening-with Javon. Who knew turning seventeen would mean a possibility of a boyfriend? Michelle's excitement began to boil over as she reached for a hug. When she came to the realization of what she did, she quickly pulled away. "See you later." She hurried off to class.

She cannot blow it now. Javon may actually be interested. He had to be. Please let him be. She so badly wanted this.

The bell rang as soon as Michelle entered class. Everyone's eyes landed on her with mixed emotion. Michelle's eyes met her English teacher's green ones. "Saved by the bell?" That caused a few people to laugh.

Her teacher, Mrs. Henson nodded before saying. "Safe by the birthday. Happy birthday, Michelle."

"Thank you." She smiled.

She could not believe how wrong Javon and she was about his mother's reaction. They were both just sure her strict policy would appear, apparently a birthday means a lot to her.

Michelle tucked a few strands of hair behind her ear before proceeding further into the classroom. "Oh no wait. As a repercussion and reward you have to stand here while we serenade happy birthday to you." Mrs. Henson sat down a pack of papers, and sidestepped the wooden podium.

Her red pumps clicking against the metallic, quartzite floor as she made her way towards Michelle. Mrs. Henson's rectangular shaped body looked quite stunning in her black dress. Even with her hair in a simple ponytail, Michelle admired Mrs. Henson's beauty.

Though a lot of her peers call her masculine Michelle cares to disagree. Mrs. Henson has a certain grace about herself that Michelle adores. Besides, Mrs. Henson is more feminine than most of her annoying peers anyways.

Mrs. Henson wrapped her fat fingers around Michelle's shoulders as she pulled her to the podium. Michelle looked from the opened windows to Mrs. Henson's neatly done makeup. Her makeup always looks flawless. Everything about Mrs. Henson is perfect to Michelle, except her rules. Her rules can go.

"If I ask is this mandatory, would you reply yes?" Michelle cautiously asked. She doesn't mind being in front of a crowd, but if she can avoid it she will.

It's weird to explain, for Michelle. Though she is an active member in the debate club, DECA and FBLA, she still fears being in front of people. When it comes to her clubs she does not mind one bit. It is as if every fear she has ever had is absent during that time. Perhaps that is why Michelle is an avid member in each group.

"Class on three, we sing happy birthday to this beautiful girl. One...two, three." Mrs. Henson began singing along with the class.

Michelle could not help but blush and smile brightly. She did not make direct eye contact with anyone, she only looked beyond them. A quick glimpse showed everyone smiling and laughing as well. When the singing ended, Michelle embarrassingly said, "Thank you guys."