Just Breath

Your hands are shaking. Partly because it's cold out. Adrenaline, and fear are contributing factors, too. If you weren't listening to the roar of your heart, you would be able to hear the batteries bouncing inside the flashlight you're currently clutching. Speaking of which, you haven't turned it off. The high beam is pointed at the night sky, giving away your hiding spot. Idiot. With stiff thumbs, you manage to turn off the light.

"Breathe, just breathe."

Over the rush of blood in your ears, his voice rings crystal clear, as if he's standing behind you. You close your eyes and focus on your breathing. Pulling in a deep breath through your nose, you hold it for a second, and blow it out.

"Again." His hands were warm that day.

It's a long process, but you repeat the steps until the rush of blood quiets. The final breath is pushed out, fogging the air in front of you.

Your legs are rubbery. Using the wall at your back for support, you stand slowly. Taking a chance, you emerge from behind the bales of hay, and survey the open field. Scared that the werewolf will jump out, and tear at your face with his long claws, you're half-tempted to plop down to the ground again.

"No. Don't hide. The longer you hide, the more scared you are, the easier it will be for him to find you."

"Don't be scared? Right! I'll master that talent right after I end world hunger"

His eyes light up as he smiles. The smile quickly fades when the unmistakable sound of a werewolf howl rips through the air. "RUN!"

It feels like hours have passed since his panic-laced voice shouted a command at you. You listened to him, of course. How could you not? He loves you, he said so himself. He's just trying to protect you.

So you ran. You ran until your lungs screamed, until your legs couldn't move, until you found the small shed.

Now? Well, now you're alone. In the woods. With a homicidal werewolf. Just how you pictured your night turning out when you made plans for your date.

Stepping out from behind the shed, you realize you have no idea where you are. All sense of direction was lost as soon as you pushed away from him.

More like he pushed you.

"RUN! I'll distract him."

You shake your head, determined to stay by his side. If you're going to die, it's going to be with the boy you love.

With his hands on your shoulders, he kisses you firmly, eyes drilling into yours. "I love you, now GO!" The same hands that you find comfort in, spin you around and shove hard.

You trip over your own feet. Risking a glance over your shoulder, you see he's already gone.

Where you are directed away from the werewolf, he's running toward it.

Tearing your eyes away from the line of trees, you quickly locate the brightest star in the sky.

Do you head north, away from town?

Or south, toward the town full of innocent people?

North is nothing but more trees.

South has anything and everything you need for something like this.

North is the unknown, variables, and probable death.

South is your family, and Deaton. Deaton would be able to keep you safe. He might even know if your boyfriend is still alive.

God... the thought of losing him tears at your heart.

A noise from behind stops you in your tracks. Leaves rustle and twigs snap as something moves closer.