Mates

People always wondered why Peter was such a bitter person. Those who are hollow were once full; Peter was once as full of life as any other person (or werewolf). He had a girlfriend that he loved and spent as much time as possible with. They loved each other -really loved each other.
Had there been a competition between Peter and Scott for who loved their girlfriend the most, Peter would have won, that's how much he loved his girlfriend.
Aside from Y/N and Peter being almost convinced that they were both mates, Peter was almost convinced of something else. There was a day that something changed between them.
One night he'd gone over to Y/N's house, a bouquet of roses in one hand and a box of chocolate in the other. It wasn't Valentine's day but dating Peter meant that it was it was Valentine's day everyday. Y/N didn't mind though, she loved how devoted Peter was.
Before placing his hand against the door to knock (he had a key but knocking seemed like a better idea at the time) Peter stopped, hearing something odd. Y/N lived alone in her house, Peter lived in an apartment building. Her house was in the middle of the woods so when Peter heard a third heart beat, more faint than Y/N's and his put together, he panicked.
Peter couldn't be a father. People were always telling him that he and Y/N would be perfect with a child but what would happen if Peter dropped the baby? What if something went horribly wrong and it was all his fault?
Sure, Peter felt beyond terrible about leaving his girlfriend without telling her anything but it was for the best. He'd bought plan tickets to stay with Laura in New York, hoping that the city would do him some good and clear his head.
The city did not do Peter Hale any good. Whenever he wasn't constantly thinking about the well-being of his pregnant mate he was either working in a small coffee shop down one of the main streets or trying to get some sleep.
After five years Peter finally returned to Beacon Hills. His nephew, Derek, had asked him to come down and help out with the pack and Peter was in no place to refuse.
Derek had sent Peter down to the grocery store to get some food, claiming the pack went through a week's worth of food in three days. He didn't have anything else to do (other than wallow in his own self pity) so Peter got into Derek's car and drove off to the store.
As he clutched the shopping basket in his hands, Peter reached for yet another packet of chips, only to get ran into by a little girl, causing him to drop the chips on the floor.
The little girl stumbled back, smiling as she looked into Peter's eyes before she picked up the chip packet and handed them to Peter. A warm feeling grew inside Peter's chest; he knew her heart beat.
"Jess, what are you do -" The voice stopped talking, realizing who was standing in front of her. "Peter?"
Peter looked up, his eyes glowing blue as he stared at his mate. It had been five years but her scent hadn't changed. Peter had forgotten that he was in a grocery store so he controlled his eye colour and looked at Y/N.
"Y/N, please let me explain," Peter said softly, feeling tears prick his eyes.
"Why did you leave? I love you so much and you just left," Y/N told him, struggling to hold back her tears.
"Love, not loved? You still love me?" Peter said, realizing. "I panicked. I was worried that I would somehow end up hurting the baby. I'm so sorry."
Y/N didn't wait another second. She ran up to Peter, wrapping her arms around him for the first time in five years. Peter let Y/N cry against his chest. It wasn't long before Y/N stepped back, feeling Jess hug her knees.