Chapter 18 | Rebellion

Chapter Eighteen

He drummed his fingers on the wooden table, staring at the corpse with vague interest. Kade was pissed. Some insubordinate elemental had chosen to challenge him right when Lucas took control of his body and shook the foundations of the base with gravitational manipulation―they would both pay. He had taken Lumen’s mother and the monkey shifter to the surface, and even though Kade had some of his best men up there looking for them, he had little hope that it would matter. That elemental was strange, the vines that had knocked Kade were strange too. Everything about the events that had occurred the day before was strange.

  And it didn’t help that the Sun Keeper was livid.

  They were in his hotel room, it had been hard to get the dead body up, but not impossible. The corpse continued to speak, not noticing that Kade was tuning it out and had changed his attention to the Realm. His plan would be set into motion soon, all of the soldiers on Earth were devout followers and he’d even gotten some Garal in the Realm to agree with him too.

  “Kade!

  The sudden shriek that came from the dead body caused him to jump up in shock. The smell of fire―if it really had a scent, smoke was the only thing that could really be smelt―filled the room as his defenses came up. They called it “Dead-Speech”. A technique that Aeron came up with to help members of the Rising communicate between planes. All that was required was a corpse, it had to be fresh, not dug up from the grave of a person from the 80s. All one had to do was whisper, “Speak to me…” And then add the person that they wish to speak to. The one without the dead body would see through the corpse’s eyes, animate the carcass until the conversation was done, or until the body decomposed. It didn’t take long for that to happen. Kade didn’t know how Aeron had done it, nor did he really care.

  “What?” Kade asked Cyrus―the Sun Keeper’s chosen name. It was ironic how they felt the need to tell everyone that they were higher, but still needed names instead of titles. Not just irony, stupidity.

  Cyrus sneered through the corpse. Its eyes flashed white for a brief moment before resuming their murky green coloring. Already the body was rotting, sending a rotten stench into Kade’s nostrils. “You listen to me, you do not ignore my orders and you do not act as if I have no power. Just because I am a dead body in this place, does not mean that I am one in the Realm, do you understand me? Don’t forget, in this plane, I have your father.”

  He visibly blanched at the mention of his father. “Fine…” Kade mumbled and ceased the drumming. He met the gaze of Cyrus.

  “Now, I want you to―what the hell?” The Keeper’s attention was averted. Kade allowed a small smile to appear on his face.

  His followers were ready.

  He had been sitting in a chair with his legs up on the table. Now he stood up slowly, not bothered by the fact that the corpse’s eyes were unfocused. Cyrus had left the connection open, but his attention was on something else. Kade approached the dead body with an eerie grin. His golden eyes flashed as he allowed the Sun to brighten. Light blinded everyone for a brief moment. He could hear the screeches as drivers hit their breaks and narrowly avoided their doom.

  His Solarmancy grew stronger, the crystal on his chest pulsated and absorbed the sunlight. When the green eyes of the corpse became aware, Kade instantly grabbed the body by the shirt and threw it out of the window, quickly following without hesitation.

  Glass shattered and sparkled in the air as they fell, the wind howled in his ears, but Kade remained calm. He allowed the power in his veins to seep into the crystal. Cyrus made no noise, he was safe in the Realm, but Kade knew that he must have been terrified. Horns sounded out as people from below spotted the two bodies falling―his room had been pretty high up, so they fell for a fairly long time until Kade closed his fist.