Chapter 2 | Teachers Are Not What They Seem

Chapter Two

The man―the Moon god, approached me. His footsteps sounded weird on the glass floor. Instead of a tap-tap I heard a whump-whump. I knew it was my ears, but I couldn’t help that.

  He knelt down next to me and placed a hand over my ear. The ringing instantly stopped, and the bruising on my throat faded away. The Moon god helped me up, and I didn’t lose my footing at all. I’d always been like that. Sure-footed. It was one of the few things I was happy with about myself.

  “My apologies,” he said as he backed up. “I just needed to test your mettle.”

  I looked at him dully, then to my surroundings. We were in a large room, with octagonal steel walls and a high ceiling. A door was slightly ajar behind Fallon. There was a small section of one wall that was made of stone. On it were six names. I saw my name on there. Archer Lumen. It glowed the brightest.

  “Ah, Archer?” he didn’t sound irritated. More…uncertain. As if he wasn’t used to having to get attention. “I am Fallon. You know your name, yes? I’ve never been good with magic. I usually let Maton handle that. He’s the one who originally thought of the idea behind Guardians.”

  I turned my gaze to him and stared at him critically. There was that crap about Guardians again. I puffed my cheeks and closed my eyes. This had to be a dream. There’s no place like home. There’s no place like―

  “Oh do open your eyes. And look into mine.” Fallon said.

  I slowly did. He was closer now, and his pools bore into mine intensely. It took me a second to register that his eyes were a metallic shade of silver.

  Just like mine.

  I stifled a gasp and he backed away confidently. “Finally. You know, Aaric never met me. No, my Champion got him first. Anyway…” Fallon continued to speak, but I ignored him. I was studying his appearance instead.

  He looked like some kind of guard from Dragon’s Dogma. With the fur skirt and leather armor to match. His sword―which looked a lot like a longsword―hung from his scabbard. I looked at his face. He was handsome…too handsome. I was pretty sure that if I were a girl, I’d fall in love with him. Hell, he probably had tens of thousands of wives―if he was a god. Which he couldn’t be, of course. There was only one god, and he was God. With a capital G. Right?

  His hair was grey, with no sheen to it. It was short and scruffy, almost like mine. Then again, my hair was a little longer and messy, and I doubted that a god would even consider doing that.

  “…and you won’t remember most of this. Here you go,” Fallon handed me the ring from his finger.

  I looked at him. “Huh…?”

  He smiled good-naturedly. Not something I’d expect from a god. Which he wasn’t. “You weren’t listening. That’s fine. Like I said, you won’t remember most of this. Now, go. And take the ring. It’ll come in handy. Wait…” Fallon used his other hand to remove a loose string from his grey leather armor. The string instantly thickened into a leather strap for a necklace. It even had those knots in the back for me to adjust it. “That’s how you Earthlings like your necklaces, correct? Now, the activation word is ‘lunar’. Remember that.”

  He held the leather strap up and touched it to the ring. The metal instantly reacted and the two melded together until he held a necklace with a ring on it. Then he handed it to me, and in another flash of loud light―not as loud as before―I was sent out of the room.

  But not before the door completely opened and a man in bronze armor entered. Fallon turned and began to curse. “Fenway, get the hell out!”