Chapter 15 | Death Is Weird, And Terrifying

Chapter Fifteen

“Get away from that.” Calder hissed. I lifted my hands up like a criminal and backed away from the device. It was brown and yellow, and in the shape of a wheel. Yet for some reason, I could feel a strange energy being emitted.

  “You’re too curious for your own good.” Aaric snickered.

  I ignored him and turned my attention to the circular table that Kira and Calder were standing at. The tunnel that he had created had a long ladder that led down to a small room. The room was littered with all sorts of objects; all of them seemed to have power.  A large bookshelf was at the far side of the room, it held scrolls and books and even tablets. The strength that I had possessed outside was gone now, probably had something to do with the fact that the Moon was out of view. There was a map on the table, grungy and yellowed. I frowned and thought about looking at it as well, but something about the bookshelf intrigued me.

  “What are you, a thief?” I asked to no one in particular as I stride over to the bookshelf.

  “I’m a…collector of artifacts.” Calder answered.

  Yeah, that doesn’t sound weird at all.

  I fingered around the bookshelf, noting that each of the things on it had a strange symbol etched onto themselves. Do you know what this is? I asked Aaric.

  He walked over soundlessly and inspected a book, not touching it, but acting like he was. “No…that’s odd.” He continued to look and I nodded slightly.

  I felt someone tap my shoulder and turned to see Kira looking at me with concerned grey eyes. “What are you doing?” She asked in a protective voice and I immediately grabbed a random scroll.

  “Ah, I was just looking at this scroll.” I opened it up and stifled a gasp.

  It was the scroll from my dream; the dream that had started all of…this. I walked over to the table and placed it down. Kate placed two heavy objects on both sides and I studied it. I looked at the man clad in reds and yellows, the woman with flowing blond hair and a wicked spear.

  “Samera…” Aaric whispered and I couldn’t help but wince inwardly. Something told me that he had a very strong history with this woman. I brushed my dark locks out of my face and moved on to my Keeper, this was the woman that chose me. “Why…?” I breathed, but I chose not to dwell on it. I had a month to figure it out. There seemed to be an endless line of pairs, just like my dream. My eyes focused on the dark-skinned women and the humanoid dark figure. Jael’s Keeper. I realized. At the end of the long scroll was a large man with green and red fire in his eyes. He wore no robes, just a simple, earth-toned tunic that held strange inscriptions along the waistband. These were green, along with the vines that intertwined along his hands. Under him, were smaller figures—smaller than the Guardians—these were the people that I had met in the dungeons. I recognized the strange aura that outlined their forms. I pointed at the large Keeper.

  “Who is he?”

  Calder looked up from the map and sighed as he saw the thing I was pointing at. “That is the Natural Keeper, the King of the World. He’s the reason we’re having all of these quakes. He cursed the Realm to die until the Keepers solved their problems.”

  He moved to take the scroll away from me, but I pulled out from under the weights, rolled it and held it tight. “It’s fine, really.” I said with a grin. Calder stared at me with annoyance and I stared back until Kira cleared her throat.

  “Why don’t I give you something to hold that in? You’ll have to have you hands free for the journey ahead of you.”

  Lunar…I thought and gripped the sword. It turned into a ring again and I looked up at her. “A bag and string would be nice.”