Chapter 14 | Escape

Chapter Fourteen

He watched through curious eyes as Kade looked up and anger contorted his vision. “Where are they? How the hell could you let her go?” 

  Miles saw that his eyes were darkened, still gold, but a darker shade of it. They symbolized his anger. Sarah Lumen shivered next to him, and he moved closer under the shawl to comfort her. “Is Archer gone?” She asked in a shaky tone. Miles nodded and made the shh! sound. They needed to be quiet. Kade continued his tantrum, using abnormal strength to punch a wall in, destroy an elemental, etc. As far as Miles knew, Kade had no idea that Sarah and him were there. Miles peeked out and watched in horror. Kade had an elemental held up in the air by the throat.

  “Where is Wren?” He asked in a deadly tone. Miles knew for sure that whatever had taken control of him, was now gone.

  “Ack! I-” The elemental couldn’t answer until Kade loosened his hold. Then the man did something unexpected.

  He spit into Kade’s face and his eyes flamed with a strange green fire. The projectile caught Kade off guard and he dropped the elemental. Vines seemed to extend from the hands that he now had clutched onto Kade’s shoulders. The vines wrapped themselves around Kade’s body, effectively trapping him. So the man simply lowered him to the ground and began to walk away.

  Miles knew that this was his chance to leave this horrible location. He knew that Kate and Archer had been treated a lot better than him, there was no real reason for that…he hoped. So Miles let out a shriek, “HEY!”

  The man turned in surprise and Miles scrambled to his feet, grasping the iron bars of the cell.

  “I’d forgotten you were here,” he said with a chuckle. Then he stepped carefully over Kade—who was unconscious—and grabbed the keys that hung from his tunic belt. “I’m the head guard for these guys. Or at least, that’s what they think. In truth, I’m a lot more important than that.” He fiddled with the keys, trying each one until a click came from the fifth key. Miles immediately went back for Sarah, coaxing her with kind words. He knew that even though he’d been treated worse than the others, Sarah had gone through something else. Kade had told her the truth. He had told her of the Realm, the Garal, the Keepers and Guardians. He had even told her of her family.

  Soon he was able to move Sarah to her feet and together they walked out of the cell.

  “What’s your name?” Miles asked as he handed Sarah over to the man. He was muscular, but not huge. His eyes changed from red to green and a fair amount of stubble covered his face. They walked for a moment, going back to the dungeon and towards the door that Archer had entered. Miles had watched it all on a TV screen in his cell. He briefly wondered how Agent Stark was doing.

  “You can call me…NK,” he finally answered.  Miles frowned, but didn’t object. He decided not to focus on the other question that threatened to escape his mouth. What are you?

  They entered the corridor that Archer had been in. The only sound that could be heard was the raspy breathing of Sarah. Ever since Miles had been thrown into the cell with her, her face was never shown. And that scared him. What if Kade had done something as evil as torture? What if her face was now burned off?

  “Where are you taking us?” Sarah croaked and she pushed NK off of her. Her posture seemed to have changed and Miles watched as she pulled back the hood to reveal a mane of spun gold. Miles hurried ahead to see her face and saw that nothing was wrong with it, save for the odd anger that dwelled within her vibrant green eyes.

  “It was all an act?” He asked in a shocked tone.

  Sarah scoffed and shook her head, “No. I was angry at myself for not digging deeper into the disappearance of my father. And to be honest, I was a little jealous that someone else from the Moon families was chosen to be the Moon Guardian. Did you know that my father was my role model? If I only knew about his history…” she trailed off and Miles changed his pace to walk next to her, one arm around her arm. Sarah was a small woman, taller than the monkey shifter, but close to his size.

  “It’s okay. Archer is the Moon Guardian now, it’s all good. I’ve only known him for a day, yet it seems like I’ve known him for years. He’s a good guy who won’t let anyone be in danger.” And Miles continued to say things that seemed to cheer her up. NK cleared his throat as they came upon an elevator. Miles didn’t bother to look up, he ignored the ding! of the elevator and only moved when the door opened. They just about to walk in, when a shout was made, followed by a column of fire hitting the wall above the elevator.

  “Shit!” NK said before pushing Miles and Sarah into the elevator and jumping in as well. Another projectile almost hit them, but it was ice and only hit the steel door of the elevator as it closed. Sarah’s face was a mask of cold indifference, but Miles was feeling amazing fear. NK moved to the panel that held the buttons and Miles saw that there were only two buttons. One that sad ‘Base’ and another that said ‘Surface’.

  “You’re lucky that Kade killed the only earth elemental down here.” NK growled as he pressed the ‘Surface’ button. The elevator began to move, but Miles could still here the angry shouts. He could still feel the shaking of the container as the elementals tried their best to destroy. He still felt fear.