Chapter 19 | Reality Is A Jacked Up Place

Chapter Nineteen

My first meeting with the Light Keeper was an odd one. It had been nighttime when he arrived. I was busy glaring at Jael as he gazed at some meaningless spot on the dusty ground. It’d been two days since I had been taken. How many days is that in total? Hmm…four days? I’ve only been in the Realm for four days? I’ve got a long way to―

  A creak! Sounded out from the stairs away from the cell. I didn’t really pay attention to it. Fare and that other boy―he was never addressed by anything, just “kid” or “bro” or something else that was stupid―usually came down here to taunt me and Jael. According to him, the pair didn’t know what Jael was. They thought he was some ordinary half-breed between a Banal―whatever that is―and a mundane. That would justify the way his lavender eyes glowed, but it was a stupid assumption.

  I didn’t bother looking up, I simply stared at Jael with clear annoyance. The guy was 20, way more experienced than I was in the use of GuardSkills, plus he controlled darkness! I had no idea why he was still here, clearly starving and deprived of fresh air. Elena had visited me yesterday, so did her other part, he called himself Dar. I laughed at the name, which earned me a poke with that stick of her―his. I’ll stick with her. When she changes, I’ll call her him. Simple…?

  “Ah, the infamous Archer Lumen.” A voice rasped and I looked up to see a being of pure light.

  “Ah, if it isn’t the damn Light that everyone keeps talking about before they die. You know, since there was no actual proof of your existence, I almost became an atheist. You are so lucky that my mom would slap me silly if I stopped believing in God. You know, I wonder if the God on Earth, is the God of this place to. Or maybe that’s not the case. I keep hearing about the World King, so I’m guessing that he rules this place. But come to think of it, he can’t really rule all of the Realm, that’d get boring, not to mention amazingly difficult. So here’s my theory; we’re where North America is on Earth. That continent is called the―”

  “Oh, shut up.”

  I was glad that he had interrupted me, because it was getting hard, talking to him and keeping eye contact. That was like looking directly at the Sun while having a conversation with your best pal―it couldn’t be done!

  “Wow, I heard that you were annoying, but I didn’t really know how annoying you were.” The Keeper laughed and leaned on the wall. I half expected the wall to burn from his brilliant light, but then I remembered, he was light, not the Sun. “My name is Avner―nice name isn’t it―and as you have probably guessed, I am the Keeper of the Light Reality. Want to see it?”

  I grumbled, “What I want is for you to dial down one the glow stick juice…”

  The two black dots that were where his eyes were supposed to be blinked in confusion before clarity returned to them. “What? Oh! My apologies, I always forget that only Leif can see me without fearing blindness.” I watched with interest as the light faded from his muscular form. Or I guess I should say, her muscular form.

  That’s right, this “Avner” that everyone was talking about, was a female Keeper.

  Her hair was like spun gold and even though she’d said that she’d turn down the light, it glowed softly as it rested in a perfect pony tail. Avner wore normal Earth clothes, complete with a hoodie and light blue denims. “Wha…? Isn’t Avner a guy name?”

  I noticed the slight change in the air of the cell and ducked as Jael attempted to punch me. Avner narrowed her pale white eyes at me, “Yes, yes it is. But if I control all light, shouldn’t I be able to name myself whatever I want? You, come out here.” I noticed a mess of dull brown hair peek out from behind Avner and I almost said the name “Elena” aloud. But I didn’t, and she and I stared at each other for a long moment before Jael let out a snort.