Chapter 25 | Death Makes An Entrance

I was staring at the seascape, watching the waves lap up against the beachfront while the Moon pulsed faintly above me. I stood alone deep in thought. The air was still, the stars glowed bright. It truly was a beautiful night.

  Suddenly I was out of my body. I stared down at myself, wearing the same green utility jacket that I’d worn that day in school. I looked so…human. But I wasn’t. I really wasn’t. My body moved suddenly, and looked at me, platinum eyes glaring.

  “This is your fault, Archer.” I said to…me.

  “This is your fault.” I kept saying it, over and over. I stared in horror and was pulled back into my body. I realized that I was outlined in silver. I moved my arm in front of my body and a trail of stars followed the limb. I began to float. I kept going higher and higher until I was staring directly at the Moon.

  Wait, was I getting mooned?

  The air shook and a dull chant reached my ears. I couldn’t quite make out was being said. That was probably because the Moon was…changing.

  The solid surface dissipated and was replaced with silver strands of light. They created symbols and connected in a large sphere. I floated closer to the contraption until I was in it. “Whoa…” I muttered and tried to touch the light. My hand passed through it like it was nothing. I reached the middle of it, and that was when things got weird.

  “Archer Lumen.” A voice said. I couldn’t place the gender though. “So nice to finally meet you officially. Selene tried her best, but she couldn’t steer you away from your fate.”

  “Um, I haven’t really had the best experience with voices that come from nowhere.” I said “So if you could, I don’t know, show yourself, that’d be great.”

  Imagine my surprise when the hottest woman that I could ever imagine appeared in front of my face. She had full lips, bright eyes that matched mine, and black hair with streaks of silver running through it. Her shirt was extremely tight, and she was wearing the tightest jeans ever. She smiled and kissed me. Her arms wrapped around my neck and I put mine on her waist. Cool. I thought. For some reason, with this hot lady kissing me in this huge sphere, I felt so normal. I thought about my friends at school. If they heard about this, I’d be the most popular kid at school, no doubt. We kissed for a long time and I enjoyed every moment of it until she pulled back.

  “There.” The woman said with a smile. “That sadness is gone. That is good, we have much to talk about.”

  “Wait. Did you do that to make me feel better?”

  She nodded. “Believe it or not, I know you very well. I know what you need. I’m like your mother.”

  Eww. “Yeah, how about not like my mom.”

  She shrugged. “It is of no importance. If you must call me something, call me the Moon. Or the Moon Reality. Like I said, we have a lot to talk about.”

  I thought about that. So technically, I just made out with a ball? I shuddered and she continued. “The World King has your mother. The Sun Guardian lost her to the Natural Keeper. Now the Natural Keeper wants to make a deal. He wants me, for your mother. You must not give him to me.”

  She saw my crestfallen face and quickly said, “But you must save your mother too. So here’s what you’re going to do. You’re going to trick Tern―the Natural Keeper―into giving you your mother.”