Chapter Twenty-Two.

Rebel’s Point of View.

            Slowly, I walked up the last three steps that lead me to the paint-peeling white door. I glanced down to the paper that had the address scribbled on, assuring myself that this was the correct house. It read the same. Inhaling a deep, shaky breath through my nose, my knuckles rasped on the door three times.

            Second passed before nothing happened, and in those few seconds I debated whether I should turn around and run home—home to Finn. A lock unlocking sounded on the other side of the door then it swung open to reveal a muscular, tall male. He stared down at me, his upper lip slightly twitching. “I thought I smelled human. What do you want?”

            My eyes briefly closed, not wanting to waste precious time on some idiot man. “I’m here to see Jaxson.”

            He barked a laugh, folding his arms. “Run along, little girl. He has more important things to do besides hearing you confess your undying love.” Scoffing once more at the mere foolishness, he went to close the door but my hand shot out, creating a loud thud. I knew he could easily break my arm like a twig, but I wasn’t about to cope with a testosterone drenched werewolf. “Just let me fucking see him,” I gritted out.

            He blinked—letting my words sink in—and when they did he opened his mouth to conjure a nasty retort, but I held up my hand. I said, “Tell him I’m—was—Finn’s girlfriend.”

            “You’re the girl that punched Jaxson.” Recognition sparked in his eyes.

             “Yes, now can I see him?”

            “No—”

            “Thomas, who’s at the damn door?” A familiar voice bounced from inside. Jaxson appeared beside Thomas, shoving the door until it was fully opened. My arm dropped to my side as Jaxson’s silver eyes met mine. He snarled, “What the hell do you want?”

             Annoyance and anxiety fermented inside me. I wasn’t abundant on time, and wasting it arguing with the only person that could help was seeming useless. “I need your help, Jaxson.”

            Thomas was pushed back as Jax leaned against the threshold. “Why don’t you ask your boyfriend?” Jaxson laughed bitterly.

            “Because I rejected him!” I exploded out of rage, my hand running down my face. “I need your help and I don’t have a lot of time to explain. So if you could just push your bad boy, asshole exterior to the side for one moment, that’d be fantastic.”

            Jax’s eyes had grown, a look of surprise etched onto his face. He looked past me to see if I was alone before inviting me in with a stunned invitation. I passed by Thomas, smiling sarcastically. Jaxson led us further into the house, ignoring the curious stares from his pack members. They started to whisper amongst themselves and I could feel their eyes on me. Jaxson came to a door and opened it, revealing a large room with tall book shelves. It was a study.

            Jaxson sat down behind a wooden desk as I opted to stand. I couldn’t sit down, my nerves were jumping around inside me, making my foot bounce with nervousness. The need to keep moving caused me to pace around, reminding me of Finn and how he used to pace unconsciously. A sharp pang jolted my chest.

            Jaxson grabbed a pack of cigarettes and a silver Zippo lighter. He lit one and offered me the pack. I accepted, hoping the nicotine would calm my frayed nerves. I lit the cigarette and pocketed the Zippo as Jaxson started. “So what did you need help with?”

            I settled for telling him the same as I told Finn. He didn’t deserve to know but he had to know in order to help. It was by the third time of telling the story that I was able to control my emotions, forcing me to realize that I was rapidly turning into the person I was before meeting Finn. My emotions were non-existent, the only thought on my mind was a sweet revenge.

            “I had to reject Finn to be sure he wouldn’t get hurt.” My voice was voided of any emotion as I stared blankly past Jaxson. Since when did Finn have a large impact on me? I mentally shook my head, smoking the cigarette until it was a stub. I crushed it into the ashtray. 

            “Okay,” Jax said slowly, nodding. Smoke poured from his mouth as he dabbed out his cigarette. “But…where do I come into this?”

            My pacing paused to turn to him. “What I need from you is to make sure Finn—or anyone in his pack—doesn’t go anywhere near that warehouse. That’s where I’ll be meeting Tate tonight. I don’t care what you do, just make sure they’re safe. I know you and Finn aren’t on good terms but I’m asking from the bottom of my heart, Jaxson.”

            Jaxson tore is gaze from mine, laughing almost sadly. His hand weaved through his hair. “I’ve never met any human willing to risk their life to save a werewolf pack,” he said, sounding astounded.

            I laughed, hoping to lighten the stormy mood. “Maybe I’m not a regular human.”

            Jaxson grinned. “I’ll help you, Rebel.”

            “Thank you, Jaxson.”

            He stood from the desk, looking at me with a sympathetic smile. It looked foreign on his cold, hard face. “You’ll make a great Luna.”

            I scoffed. “If I survive this.” I sighed, the sudden realness of the situation sinking into my head. I might die and Finn might have to live his whole life without me. An Alpha might have to live knowing his Luna will never return to him. He could do it, I knew he could, he was strong. But after everything, I deserved to be happy. Happy with him. I nodded once more. “There’s just one more thing I need to ask of you.”

            “Anything.”