Chapter Fifteen.

Rebel's Point of View.

   Finn appeared from the hotel’s bathroom with a white towel wrapped around his slim waist. Water that dripped from his damp hair fell onto his chest. I forced myself to tear my eyes off of him, hoping to keep my thoughts and urges in check. 

   I wrung my fingers together. This was my fault--all of it. I’m a coward. I should’ve swallowed my fear and walked into the house. I should’ve kept my head up and banish all negative thoughts. But I was making Finn waste more money to postpone something that was bound to happen.

   Sooner or later, I would have to meet his parents. 

   Letting out a frustrated sigh, I dropped my head into my hands. My hands weaved through my hair. 

   “I can practically smell the regret from you.” Finn’s voice came from somewhere in the room.

   I let out a humorless chuckle. “Thank God you can’t hear my thoughts then.”

   Upon lifting my head, Finn had dressed into the clothes he wore on our date. He smiled, trying to make me feel less guilty. I flashed a sad smile then covered my face once again.

   He sighed. His footsteps sounded through the room until they stopped in front of me. Sliding my pointer finger over, I peaked at him through the small slit. He crouched in front of me. 

   He grabbed my hands from my face, not letting them go. “You don’t have to beat yourself up over it. You know that, right?”

   Staring at his too kind eyes and his warm smile, it made me feel more guilty. I scoffed in the back of my throat. 

   His smile slightly grew, his thumb making a circular motion on the back of my hand. “Seriously, I know it’s a big deal--meeting someone’s parents. I’m absolutely fine with waiting.”

   I sighed, looking away from him. 

   His large hand reached up to cup my cheek, tilting my head to look at him. “I’m serious. I don’t care. Just--for the love of everything good--stop looking at me with those eyes. My heart can’t take much more of it.”

   My lips twitched, but I still couldn’t produce a smile. “What if I’m never ready to meet your parents?”

   This didn’t seem to faze Finn. “Then we’ll elope. We’ll go in live in a wooden cabin in the middle of the forest and survive on the food I get by stealing baskets from girls that wear red hoodies and who are on their way to their grandmothers’.”

   Despite my mood, Finn had managed to make me grin. 

   His smiled brightened. “See, that’s the smile I like seeing.”

   Unconsciously, my cheeks reddened. I could always count on Finn to make me smile even if I didn’t want to. He was such a good person . . . Unlike me.

   He was nice and so caring. I could bet that he had never broken a girl’s heart. He’d make a great father and a loving husband. I could easily see myself spending the rest of my life with him. Waking up every day with him by my side seemed perfect. 

   But his good-looks and wonderful personality contrasted too greatly with me as a person. He could do so. Much. Better.

   How can you love someone when they can’t even love themselves?

   I had zoned out--again--but was snapped into reality when I felt Finn’s forehead pressed against mine. My eyes trailed from the floor to his coffee colored eyes. Our faces were inches apart. I could smell him, feel his warmth around me. When his nose graced mine, I froze and my heart started beating fast.