Chapter Sixteen.

Rebel’s Point of View.

   A headache pounded from behind my eyes, pulsating throughout my scalp and caressing my brain. I rolled onto my back, bringing my arm up to cover eyes. My irises burned and I groaned deeply in my scratchy throat.

   Shuffling sounded around the room, then a hand grabbed my own. The owner of the hand spoke, “Thank God, you’re okay.”

   At Finn’s concerned voice, I moved my arm from my face. He was knelt beside me, his face twisted in worry and relief.

   Covering my face again to block out the dim lights, I groaned out, “What happened?”

   “You fainted.”

   Fainted?

   “They said it was from shock,” Finn continued.

   A beat passed, and then it hit me like a sledgehammer.

   He had been there. In person; not a figment of my imagination. He found me, just like I knew he would. I wish I could travel back in time and run when I had the chance. I wish I didn’t spend time with Finn and grow feelings for the boy. Because in the end, I knew it would turn out like this.

   God, I was so selfish.

   Looking back to Finn, I managed to give him a smile, in which I hoped looked real. “I’m fine.”

   “No, you’re not,” he said, catching the lie. “What’s wrong, Rebel? Tell me.”

   I had to look away from him, forcing myself to focus on something else. Like the fact we were back in his room. Finn was about to speak again, but I cut him off before he could say anything.

   “Are we back at the house?” My voice came out as a harsh whisper. Not only did I have to worry about the horrible man from my past, but now Finn’s parents. I could only tackle one obstacle at a time, so I decided to put my past in the back of my mind to focus on being an acceptable girlfriend.

   Finn’s mouth snapped shut and his eyes drifted to the ground, confirming my suspicions.

   “Finn,” I groaned, my hand reaching up to hold my forehead. Was his parents downstairs? Could they hear everything we were saying? My heart pumped heavily in my ears, the air in the room grew thick.

   “I’m sorry. You fainted and I didn’t know what to do so I brought you back here because I was really, really worried. You were so pale and freezing cold and—”

   I placed my hand over Finn’s mouth, stopping his rambling mid-sentence. “It’s fine, Finn. I’m just nervous.” And scared.

   He smiled underneath my hand, then reached up to weave his fingers through mine. I found comfort in the simple action. “I know,” he said, looking down at our connected limbs, “but they’ll love you, no matter what you think.

   I smiled, hoping he was right about everything.

   Managing to stand up from the bed with the help of Finn, I told him I was taking a shower before I met his parents.

   After I showered, my brain went into overtime. Plans formed in my head of how I was going to deal with everything. An idea washed upon me, one that I didn’t wish to think about. It would work, but force me to hurt people—hurt Finn.

   Trying to inject myself with happiness, I brushed my hair and teeth then picked out an outfit. I thought the floral tank top and khakis pants were suitable enough, but then I started second guessing. My tattoos were visible, maybe my shirt was too tight and gave off a bad impression.