Chapter Fourteen.

Rebel’s Point of View.

   Mountain Springs Marine Aquarium. 

   My smile was spread wide across my face, my heart thudded with excitement. My cheeks started to ache. I don’t think I’ve ever smiled that much since I’ve been here. 

   Turning my head to look at Finn, his smile mirrored mine. He grasped my hand in his and said, “Ready?”

   Nodding enthusiastically, I pulled Finn to the entrance. He laughed at my eagerness. 

   Once inside the building, the sounds of children laughing met my ears. They ran around, big smiles on their small faces’. My eyes skimmed over the facts about the sea creatures that was mounted on the tall walls. 

   Finn walked us to the counter, pulling out his wallet to pay for two tickets. The nice, old lady handed them over with a warm smile. She vaguely reminded me of my own grandmother back home. 

   Next, Finn led us over to the map of the building. The layout was divided into sections according to the types of animals. Finn pointed us to the Amphibian and Reptiles exhibit.

   “We’ll go from here,” he said and trialed his finger across the map in a clockwise motion, “all the way to here, to the outside trail.”

   “Yeah, okay, let’s go,” I said quickly, dragging us into the direction of the first exhibit.

   Once we crossed the threshold of the Amphibian and Reptiles section, various little girls had their noses’ scrunched while looking at the slimy creatures. Giving Finn a sideway glance, he had a similar face to the girls. 

   It made me chuckle. “Why are you doing that?”

   “It stinks in here.”

   Trying inconspicuously to smell the air, I replied, “No, it doesn’t.”

   Finn’s lips twitched. His finger tapped the side of his nose as he leaned down. “Heightened senses.”

   “Oh,” I said. “We can leave if you want.”

   He shook his head, his arm draping across my shoulders. He pulled my to his side, his body heat rolling off of him and onto me. “Nope, this is your day. I’m not gonna ruin it for you.”

   When he looked down at me, I rolled my eyes playfully. Sarcastically, I said, “Such the gentleman.”

   “Always,” he immediately replied.

   Walking us over to a glass tank, a snake was curled up on a rock. While Finn stared at the reptile, I leaned over to his ear and whispered, “Can you hear what it’s thinking?”

   He laughed at my joke and played along. “Oh, yeah. It’s saying, ‘Who is this beautiful blonde staring at me.’”

   “Oh, whatever.” I laughed, pushing his side. “Sucking up won’t gain you any points.”

   Finn’s arm wrapped around my shoulders, pulling me to his chest as he walked us over to a frog tank. I walked backwards, my cheek and hands trapped against his strong body. His addicting smell surrounding me. 

   “What if I buy you ice cream?” Finn asked. “Would that get me some points?”

   “Hmm,” I hummed, pretending to think it over. “It depends on how many toppings I’m allowed to get.”

   “All the toppings in the world for my girl.”

   I acted as if the nickname didn’t faze me, but deep down it sent happiness to flow through me. “Even if I got, like, crickets as a topping?”