thirteen

"No, you're doing it wrong Calum" Luke said and looked at his screen where Calum was holding up his math homework for Luke to check through Skype.

"Well, it's impossible, okay?" Calum sighed and threw the homework away to look at Luke with a small pout. The blonde chuckled lightly at his friend and it made Calum smile lightly.

"You're going to the football game on Friday, right?" Calum asked and Luke nodded.

"Of course I am, mom and dad are too, Jack is playing his first game" Luke said and nibbled lightly on a strawberry from his bowl of fruit.

"I'm excited, I'm pretty confident they're gonna win," Calum spoke and a wide grin was placed on his face, "Do you want to go together?"

Luke smiled and nodded his head once again. "Yeah, I'd love to. Mom will be happy to see you, she likes you" Luke said and chuckled lightly, not noticing the small blush on Calum's cheeks.

"Are your parents coming?"

Calum shifted in his bed and pursed his lips before shaking his head. "Um no, they have to work and stuff," he said and shrugged, "They're not really into high school football. If football at all"

"Oh, okay," Luke said and smiled assuringly, "Well, you'll sit with me, that's settled"

Calum grinned again and nodded his head because he was happy he actually got a real friend. Since some things had occurred in Calum's life, he'd become scared of trusting people and to invite them into his life. He felt like he could do that to Luke though.

"Um, hey Luke?" he asked and Luke turned his head from the bowl of fruit to look at Calum again.

"Hm?"

"Do you, like, want to-"

"Luke, honey?" a voice said, interrupting Calum in the middle of his sentence. Luke turned his head to look to where his mother carefully opened his bedroom door and glanced inside.

"Yeah?" Luke asked, looking at his mother with raised eyebrows.

"I'm driving Jack to his football practice now and I'm going to drop off his health papers while I'm at it. Then I'll go buy some groceries for dinner. I'll be home after that, Jack will be home late and dad will too" she said and smiled warmly at Luke. Luke didn't smile back though, he was a bit anxious.

"I'm alone?" he asked, a slight frown was placed on his face.

"Yeah, but only for two hours max, so don't go invite a bunch of people over now" Liz said and winked playfully before walking over and placed a small kiss on her son's forehead.

"I'll see you in a bit, honey" she spoke and waved before leaving Luke's room and closing the door.

Luke was still frowning and bit his lip as he turned around to the screen again. Calum was watching him with furrowed eyebrows and confused brown eyes.

"What's up? Don't you like to be alone?" he asked and Luke shook his head.

"No, I really don't want to be alone," he said and bit the inside of his cheek, "Can you please come over?"

Calum looked at the blonde for a few seconds before nodding his head quickly. "Yeah of course, I'm on my way"

"Thank you" Luke breathed out and Calum smiled before saying goodbye and ended the call. Luke was left alone when hearing the door to the house open and shut closed again, letting him know that his mother and brother had left as well.

Maybe it wasn't a very bright idea to invite Calum over since Luke hadn't told his best friend about the things that had happened in his life lately. Luke never mentioned Ashton around Calum because the raven haired boy didn't seem to enjoy hearing Ashton's name.