five

Ashton stood up from Luke's bed and grimaced slightly at the pain from his back.

"You could stay" Luke said as he saw Ashton's face scrunch up. Ashton sighed at the younger boy. He was such a sweet and innocent boy and he was nothing at all like Ashton, so the older boy couldn't understand just why Luke wanted to be around him.

"No, I can't"

"But you can barely walk" Luke pointed out before looking at Ashton's back.

"I told you before and I'm telling you again; don't worry about me. I don't need people to worry about me" Ashton snapped and Luke shut his mouth.

He just wanted to please Ashton. He wanted to ask the right questions and say the right things. He wanted Ashton to agree with him and he wanted Ashton to maybe crack a smile, since Luke had never seen the older boy turn his frown into a smile.

"Shit, I knew kissing you would be a great fucking mistake" Ashton mumbled but Luke heard and the words stung him badly.

"You're too young and you're too innocent. Everything would have been fine if I just stayed away from you and if you just had shut your mouth" Ashton said and turned to watch the sad looking boy sitting on his bed.

Ashton ran a hand through his hair and sighed out loudly. He didn't like seeing how hurt he made the younger boy, and Ashton was frustrated with himself for feeling such sympathy towards the blonde.

"I'm sorry" Luke spoke up quietly, looking down at his lap. Ashton placed his eyes on Luke's slumped posture and sighed for knowing he had hurt the blonde once again.

"I'm sorry that I've been so on towards you. You've told me to back off so many times and I haven't. It's just, you're really interesting and you make me feel stuff, and I like the way you make me feel" Luke mumbled.

"How can I make you feel so much when we've only met during fucking deadly situations. I've been an awful person towards you Luke, why would you ever give me a second glance?"

"Because I've been taught to get to know the person inside the shell. I haven't done that with you yet but I really want to"

Ashton sighed yet again before hesitantly crouching down in front of Luke and placed his big hands on each of Luke's knees.

"I can't let you get to know me" he said and looked into Luke's pretty blue eyes.

"Why?" Luke whispered. He was starting to get frustrated with the older boy. He just wanted to get to know the real Ashton, the one who no one seemed to understand in school. He wanted to know just why Ashton was covered in cuts and bruises all the time and he wanted to know what Ashton was working with. He wanted to know Ashton.

"Because I want you to live your life without having to check over your shoulder every second to be sure no one is after you"

Ashton let his thumbs caress Luke's clothed legs as he spoke, keeping his eyes locked with the blue ones.

"Nothing good can ever come from being near me" Ashton said softly. He was trying so hard to get Luke to understand. To make him realize that it was dangerous to be close to him.

Luke studied the boy in front of him and even though the boy may have hurt him many times already, Luke didn't care, because the small glimpse of hurt Ashton always had in his eye made the blonde care even more about the older one.

"Sometimes it feels like you are more afraid of me than I am of you" Luke spoke up, making Ashton raise his eyebrows slightly.

"I'm not afraid of you" Ashton said, now frowning a bit, "Why would I be afraid of you?"