ten

"Hey little brother"

Ashton tensed up at the words and his eyes hardened as he looked up at his big brother. He hadn't seen him in three years, but he still recognized every single feature he had.

"I don't want to talk to you now Seth" Ashton mumbled and turned back to look at a confused looking Luke still seated on the table. His lips a bit more red than usual after the intense kiss both boys shared just minutes ago.

"I bet you're imagining me there, huh?" Seth said and nodded over to the head of the doll dangling from the ceiling.

Ashton sighed and ran his hands over his face and through his hair before closing his eyes in frustration.

"Well, I haven't had the need to imagine stuff like that since I've thought you've actually been dead for nearly three years now" Ashton spoke and walked over to the safe and placed his gun on one of the small shelves.

"You're a fucking asshole for making me think that, Seth" Ashton said as he turned around to look at the tall dark blond man with those friendly hazel eyes that could change in a split of a second.

He looked healthy though, and that confused Ashton more than anything. He had thought Seth had been dead ever since the day just suddenly disappeared from their group, but seeing him here today, looking so alive was quite unbelievable for Ashton.

Though he didn't know if he was happy Seth was alive or if he was mad that he had hid away for three years without trying to contact Ashton even once.

"I know. I don't exactly expect you to run up and hug me," Seth spoke with a slight chuckle, earning a glare from Ashton, "But come on, you're my brother"

Ashton looked at Seth and their similar eyes locked with each other.

Ashton was fucking furious with his older brother. What Seth had done wasn't anything near okay. Clearly Ashton wasn't the best with family- showing by his relationship with his uncle- but Seth was a whole other story.

Seth was Ashton's brother. His big brother that he actually used to look up to. They were complete opposites though; while Ashton was serious in everything he did and never once let anyone see his emotions, Seth was making everything he did something he could laugh about.

He was more like Michael in a way. Or, Michael was more like Seth, since he had also grown up with him and took after most of what Seth did.

Maybe Ashton should feel bad. Maybe he should feel some kind of regret that he chose the opposite way of his brother, his best friend, and his father. Maybe he should regret that he chose the same way as his uncle, but he didn't.

He didn't, because it's what has kept him alive all these years. 

"You're an unfamiliar face" Seth said and looked at Luke with a friendly smile. Luke looked over at the older Irwin and wondered if that was how Ashton would look if he smiled.

"I'm Seth" Seth said and walked over to Luke with an outstretched hand. He didn't come far and Luke barely had any time to lift his own hand before Ashton stood in the middle of them.

"His name is Luke, now go" Ashton said and Seth sighed. He gave Luke yet another smile before stepping back, knowing very well not to cross his brother's lines.

"I heard from Mike that you know about our father" Seth mumbled as he was a few feet away from Ashton and Luke.

"You're even more of a fucking asshole for never telling me that either" Ashton answered. He backed up so he was standing in between Luke's legs again, but with his back facing Luke this time.