Dinner With The Blacks*

"What's up?" I ask.

"The Blacks will be here at seven." She responds.

"Fine. But it might be better if I cook."

"Why do you think that?"

"Well because no offence Mel but you aren't the best cook." I shrug.

"Fine you cook. I hope I bought things you can use to make a nice meal." She says.

"I'll make do. How old is the daughter?"

"Like seven or eight, oh and dress nicely Alexis." She warns.

"I will Aunt Mel, I already told you I bought a dress for tonight." I call back as I look through the fridge. I decide to make chicken alfredo for dinner along with garlic breadsticks seeing as Andrew and Marcy always liked to eat my chicken alfredo with breadsticks. For dessert I make a lemon pound cake. I toss a salad while the the pasta is cooking. I put the cake in the oven, set a timer for the pasta and go upstairs to change. I put on my new dress, it's black with white polka dots, a red petticoat and red belt around it's waist, out of habit I put on my flats as well, my parents always made me wear shoes when we had company for dinner. With a swipe of red lipstick my look is complete and I'm back in the kitchen finishing dinner. I set the table for five and start putting things in serving bowls and plates. Just as I'm glazing the cake the doorbell rings.

"Aunt Mel am I supposed to get the door?!" I call.

"Yes please Alexis! I'm not ready yet."

"Hurry up! I'm making dinner and I'm still ready before you are!" I call back teasingly as I go to open the door.

"Shut up Alexis!" She calls back. I laugh as I swing open the door.

"Hello you must be Ms. Black." I say shaking hands with the woman at the door whose daughter is standing behind her.

"Hi, you must be Alexis." She smiles back.

"That's me, and this little princess must be Melody." I say smiling at the little girl.

"Hi." She says shyly.

"My aunt is still getting ready but I'll go get her, you two may head to the dining room down the hall and to the right." I say pointing them in the direction of the dining room.

"Thank you." She says. I run upstairs to Mel's room.

"Are you ready yet?" I ask poking my head into the room.

"Yes, I am now, are the Blacks are here?"

"Well, two thirds of them are here." I say smirking.

"Ryder isn't here?"

"Lucky for me no he's not."

"You better be nice to him tonight Alexis."

"He's not even here!" I protest following her downstairs.

"Not yet Alexis, the night doesn't end here." She hisses at me.

"Ugh!" I groan.

"Time to smile, oh and you look beautiful."

"Thanks." I say going into the kitchen. I bring out the salad and the dressings and set them at the table before grabbing the chicken alfredo and the breadsticks.

"I hope you like chicken alfredo, I wasn't sure what to make." I say as I put it down. Just as I set the drinks on the table the doorbell rings again.

"That's probably Ryder." Ms. Black says.

"I'll go get that." I say going towards the front door.

"Sorry if I'm la-" He stops mid sentence.