Chapter Seventeen

Knowing Heartbreak
Chapter Seventeen

"But I'm emancipated! Therefor you don't need to call someone older than me to pick me up." I told the officer who was sorting our things out.
"I understand, miss. But this is your third strike, you need a parent or a guardian because three strikes mean you are unfit to take care of yourself. Now, I will not report this to any court because these two most recent charges are for trespassing, but report says you were peaceful." The officer explained, but I was just more confused.
"This is only my second strike though, not my third. Something must be wrong." I shook my head, not knowing what he meant.
"No, miss. You have been in custody before for underage drinking." He told me, looking at me strictly. "Back in late October." He clarified, looking down at what I presume to be the file he printed out about me.

Only when he said the date did it make sense to me. It was a pretty simple charge. Long story short is, bunch of high school kids threw a party, neighbors complained, party was raided, alcohol was found and whoever was found at said party was tested. I wasn't even tipsy, but I had had a few drinks that night, and so I was taken into custody.

"Oh, right." I said quietly, looking down at my shoes, feeling a little ashamed about it all.
"So who should I call, miss?" The officer asked softly.
"That's the issue, I don't have any relatives that live nearby." I said, knotting my eyebrows together because I didn't know how it was going to work itself out.
"It's okay if they don't live here in Adrian, miss. Any part of Michigan, really."
"I mean nobody lives in this state." I clarified and he arched his left eyebrow and I think he also didn't know what was to be done.
"I'm going to call McDougall, and both of us will see what we can do to contact a relative of your's." He said, I nodded, and then he simply walked away.

I sighed deeply, and turned away from the bars, going back to the bench.
"You've been in custody before?" Logan asked sounding surprised, and I looked into his eyes and once again, they were cold. Not in a angry and detached way, just cold.
"Uh, yeah." I muttered, plopping down on the metal bench.
"Huh" He huffed under his breath.

"Miss Hart?" Someone called, so I looked up. Officer McDougall was there, signaling me to go closer. Once I reached the bars, he opened the cell and ushered me out, then closed it behind me. "Come with me." He ushered for me to follow behind him, and I did.

He led me to a small, but comfortable office, where he told me to sit in the chair in front of the desk that he sat behind.
"So you say you don't have any relatives in the state?" He asks, looking at me.
"No, I don't."
"This is something I should report to the court. The three times that you have been in custody say that you are unfit to take care of yourself. But you turn eighteen next month, on the seventh, correct?" He asks, and I just nod, wondering where this is leading.
"If you turn eighteen next month, there is no point of filling a report to have your emancipation papers removed. But I can't just let you go. I'm already disregarding my orders and not reporting the incident, I can't just let you run free." He told me, and I nodded in acknowledgement.
"You'll be spending the night in the cell. You will be released tomorrow at exactly 11 AM." He told me, and I was surprised I was being let off that easy.
"Thank you." I said sincerely, knowing that he could have reported this, but he was just going to make me spend the night.
"You're welcome. And I do it because you seem like a fairly well behaved person. That boy is trouble, nothing seems good about him." He told me, as if hinting at something.
"Well, anyway, let's get you back to that cell."
__________________
The night had been rough and I only had a few hours of sleep. Logan had been let out a little while after I went back in the cell. Someone was there to pick him up. We hadn't spoken. Deep down I was, and still am mad at him. I always get in this type of issue with him. It was also my fault, I could have said no, but I just followed him. The thing is, whenever I get mad at him, he gets cold and detached. I should have seen it coming yesterday.

It was now 7pm and I was just about ready to snuggle up in bed with my laptop. I had spent the day with Jane. Logan had left my purse, which had been in his car, with the officers and they gave it to me, once I was let free. Jane picked me up, and we just talked about nonsense. I think she kind of understood a lot had happened and it had shaken my world a little and my routine and that I wasn't ready to talk about it. I thought she also didn't want to talk about her life, she is trying to make sense of things in her head first before speaking or acting.
_____________
Days pass by in the blink of an eye. Everyone had been quiet. I think everyone understood Jane and mine silence. I think everyone had their own issues.

Eric has been avoiding us at all cost. I could tell, but I wasn't going to bring it up with Jane. No need to make her more confused than she already is. I can see her inner struggle everyday. But I know she's a time bomb, she'll tell me when she can't help it anymore and just explodes. I know because I'm the same. She may be the more outgoing one, and I may be the more quiet one, but I think we have the same emotional wiring.

Logan was nowhere to be seen. As if he had never been there in the first place. No calls, no texts, just his absence.
Honestly, I was kind of okay with it. Not because I didn't want him near, but because I feel like we're going to fight. I don't want to fight with him, I don't like that it could turn out bad.
__________________
Hello, lovelies! It's been almost forever since I last updated, and I'm sorry, but I've been a little busy and it wasn't until recently that I had actual inspiration to write. Also, I'm kind of confused with this book and where it's going because I had a plan, and this book was supposed to be done some time ago, but since I have taken so long, I'm no longer sure where I want to take it. But I think I'm just going to keep writing it to see how I feel about it. As for Hugs And Home, that one I will keep writing, and I will update that the next chance I get which should be soon. Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this chapter, so please comment, vote, follow and tell your friends. I hope you all have a lovely week.

Love,
Alina Nicole•