"Do you tend this field alone?" She questioned the old man as she smiled at him and earned her a soft nod, "It looks really beautiful and well-kept."

He finished sheering and turned to her, then to the other one; he stood up and pointed to where he came from. He looked at the blonde one and could sense something bothering her, but he could not care less about it; he acquired her attention and noticed the sadness upon her grey irises.

"Follow the path down the forest," he spoke, "I carved the trees to which direction that thing stands," he explained as he bent down and started to weed out some scrubs, "Follow it and it'll lead you back to your school."

Katherine turned to the forest, "That's awfully convenient."

"Be kind," Hailey chided her as she smiled at the man, "Thank you."

He merely nodded as Katherine already treaded half-way through the field as she took careful steps in it; a part of her could sense a pair of eyes watched her, certain that it was the old man. She did not wish his wrath upon her and made sure not to step on any flowers.

"Hey, wait for me!" Hailey shouted as she took a step away from the man, but before she took another, she turned to him, "May I know your name, sir?"

He slowly looked over his shoulder and met her dark amber gaze, "Scott."

"Thank you for the help, Mister Scott," Hailey smiled before she followed Katherine's steps; she met with her at the base of the forest and looked back for a moment, but could no longer find old man Scott.

Shrugging it off, she followed Katherine through the blanket of trees; there were all sorts of creatures in it – squirrels, stray lizards, and even some night owls. The sun was creeping up as they went, where the sea of leaves overhead protected them as much as it sung to the tune of the wind.

Katherine held her head high as she followed the path the old man pointed to them; just as he said, there were arrows carved on the trees. She felt a little guilty for being a bit mean to him; she had reasons not to trust him – it was her instincts that told her so despite the fact that she knew not what came into her earlier.

A crunch came from behind her that made her jolt up and turn around swiftly; her eyes raced to the fiery blue hair that poked out of the side of a tree a few meters behind. Curiosity rose within her as much as her brow, which made her approach her on a whim; she noticed how her companion has stooped down on the ground.

"What are you doing?" Katherine spoke with an inquisitive tone as she stood beside her.

Hailey did not respond and simply resumed her collection of leaves. Katherine merely watched in silence as she examined what she was doing; there were four long twigs on the ground as much as there was a pile of leaves next to it. It made her wonder what she was doing as she dug into the soft ground.

As the seconds went on by, Hailey placed leaves in the whole she dug as though she had made a bed. Katherine's eyes widened as she saw a dead blue jay inside that pile of leaves; there was a deep wound on its chest as much as one if its wings were dislocated.

There was a hint of sadness inside her as she watched Hailey lift up the dead bird slowly as though it was a child, then carefully placed it inside the hole; she closed her eyes for a moment as though she wanted to say a solemn prayer to it.

Concern drifted into Katherine's chest which made her place a hand on Hailey's shoulder as though to comfort her; she did not know that she had a deep connection with the wild. Stooping down to her level, she helped her bury the dead bird in silence as she made sure to keep cover it fully; she took the twigs and formed a cross, but could not find a vine to tie it on the centre.