~

"Honey, you can't say stuff like that to the people who feed and shelter you." Mona wipes down the bar top with a mint green cloth that has bleach stains on it.

I take a hit from my cigarette, "yeah, probably. But, it pisses me off that Liberty gets the golden hand of love and I get what? Steel? No, scratch that, I don't get shit."

Mona frowns and leans on the bar top, "don't talk about yourself like that. And you do get stuff. You got a place to sleep every night, don't ya?"

I rest my head in my hands, "I just feel like Liberty is more important than me. I mean, I don't wanna sound selfish because I'm not, but it would've been nice to get something for my birthday after being publicly abused, lost my boyfriend and now my dad is out of jail."

"You and Colton broke up?"

"No, but it sure as Hell feels like it. He has all this money, but he can't come down here to visit?"

"Do you think he found someone else?" Mona lights a cigarette.

I shrug, "I dunno. He's rich, smart, caring, and good looking. What girl doesn't want him? Yeah, at first I didn't, but now I do."

"Who's Colton?"

I jump to Alec's voice, then I slump back down in the bar stool. "My boyfriend."

"Ohh. California dude."

"Colorado," I frown.

"So, what's the problem? Caught him fucking someone else?"

I frown more, "you're not helping, you know?"

"I'm not here to help."

I roll my eyes, "then why are you even here?" I spit out.

Alec shrugs, and I get up and storm outside. "Everyone is a fucking asshole."

~

"You have a visitor." My granddad informs me.

I roll my eyes, "no, I don't want company."

"Too bad. I'm already here." I look at the door and my granddad is gone, but Alec is there. He smiles, then kicks off his shoes.

I roll my eyes and turn over.

"Nice room. Reminds me of a cabin. You should see my room back home. It's nice."

"I don't care about your room."

Alec places his hand over his heart, "I'm hurt."

"Fuck off."

"Ah, c'mon." He climbs over me and lays down. He reaches in his pocket and starts to light a cigarette. He takes a hit and I yank it out of his mouth, "what? They don't own me."

I take a hit, then put it out on the nightstand, "yeah, they own me and I don't wanna get in trouble cause of you."

He sighs and looks around, "what do you do here?"

"Nothing."

"So, what's the deal with you? You hate your grandparents, you run away and have breakdowns whenever you see your dad, and you don't trust your boyfriend."

"Thought you didn't care." I bite on my nails.

"Just tell me."

"I'll pass."

"At least tell me about your boyfriend. Heard he's rich and you complain?" Alec scoffs.

I frown and look at the ceiling, "I'm not complaining. It's just..he says he loves me, but if he did he would come here."

"Why does he have to come here if he loves you?"

"Cause he knows I hate it here and what's going on with my dad, but he's busy with college."

"It's June 17th. Schools aren't open during summer."

I frown and wipe my tears away, "now I feel even worse. Thanks."

"I was just saying. Sorry." He fumbles with his jean jacket and shrugs, "he might be cheating, he might not. Ask."

"He'll say no."

"Or, just move on completely."

I shrug and frown. What do I do? I sigh and turn over with my back towards Alec. I yank the covers up because Alec is on them and he moves around, then I feel his leg touch mine and I move it. I bury my head in the covers and cry.

Alec turns me over and looks at me, "don't cry, sticky fingers." He tries to wipe my tears away, but ends up poking my eye. "Sorry."

I hold my eye and punch him in the chest, "ass."

He chuckles, "I'm sorry. But, don't cry over that loser."

"Why?" I wipe my tears away

"He's a waste! You don't need to be with someone if you think they're cheating on you. I may fuck a lot of girls, but I've never cheated. True story."

I laugh a little bit, and Alec does too. I look at him and he starts leaning in.