Chapter 21: Voice on the Radio

I never saw it coming, the way a voice can make me feel,
and I fear that I am falling…
I should be old enough to know,
Not to fall in love with the voice on the radio

- Voice on the Radio, Marie Digby 

Baby, Baby, Baby OOOHHHH. Like baby, baybeh, baby NOOOo, like baby baby baybey ohhh, Though you’d alwa-

­­and that was it. I killed Justin Bieber.

No, idiot. You killed your phone. You didn’t even kill it, just turned off your alarm.

It’s true, what they say; use the song you hate the most as your alarm to make sure you wake up in the morning. I do wake up, on time too, they just never mentioned about the side effect that would make you irritable and temperamental the whole day. Apparently, it’s been like this for me, every. Single. Day.

But today, I just can’t help but smile.

Despite being woken up by that horrible song, I was pretty sure I was going to have a good day.

Last night was, unexpectedly great.

After Zayn shared a cab with me, he brought me upstairs to the door of my flat. We stayed in the doorway for a while because he said our extra thirty-four minutes was still running.

We didn’t really do or say anything while standing; we just smiled at each other.

As much as I hated cheesy situations, I enjoyed every bit of that smile. I got to gaze at his beautiful eyes and his long lashes, his jaw line, his aquiline nose, his thin lips - his infuriatingly perfect face, and never did he once ruin the moment by asking me if I ‘liked the view.’

 And even though, I imagined it would be awkward or anything, it really wasn’t. The way we both stood there and looked at each other was almost… comfortable.

Im not even sure how it came to that, but I guess Zayn really pulled through. He was not as bad as I thought. He was a gentleman; he was funny, and he was actually NOT egotistic.

When it was time for him to go, he awkwardly fidgeted with the stuff on his pockets. He shyly played with whatever key he had, since he wasn’t driving anything, and I don’t think he has a house here in America. Despite the extended thirty-four minutes almost being up, none of us wanted to separate just yet. But he had to leave, because obviously, he had to go home, and I had to stay, because, obviously I was already home.

He gave me a soft and friendly peck on the cheek before saying goodbye and I watched him retreat into the elevator. When I finally closed the door, I sighed to myself and made a face-splitting smile while I was resting my head and my back on the door of our loft. I wanted to yell out, but obviously, I can’t. Being in this state made me feel stupid, and cheesy. And those are the two human traits I hated the most. Why on earth does he make me feel like its okay to be stupid and cheesy?

**

I was smiling to myself as I walking towards my car, and I felt the need to punch my face. Nothing really special happened, why do I feel this happy?

I don’t like easily feeling happy because it makes me become vulnerable, and weak. It makes me an easy target for heartbreak. But could I actually get my heartbroken by Zayn? It’s too early to tell.

I sat inside my car and recounted the fastest way to the bar from last night. Sonja said we had an early meeting with Ed, and we are going to plan out the tour, and performing.

I’ve never even in my dreams, imagined that I would be casually driving to a meeting with The Ed Sheeran. Everything is still so surreal. A few months, or weeks maybe, even more people would know my name, and that alone is scary, and exciting at the same time.

I started the car and the first thing I heard blasted on the radio are lyrics to that familiar upbeat song by One Direction.

“everyone else in the room can see it,
everyone else but you….”

Even with the new friendships I made with Niall and Zayn, I still wasn’t a fan of their music. Like I’ve said, I didn’t hate them, but their music is just not my type. Despite that, I couldn’t help but smile to myself whenever Zayn’s voice has a solo.

Once the music ended the booming and perky voice of the DJ started talking again.

“And that folks is ‘What Makes You Beautiful’ by One Direction who are live here with us in the studio right now!”

My eyes popped out and I immediately turned up the volume of my car radio, which I realized was a bad idea only after I heard Louis scream.

On my way to the bar I listened to the interview with the boys. They actually sound fun and down-to-earth. I never thought I would be listening to a One Direction radio interview inside my car and actually enjoy it.

“So, here goes the most dreaded question…” starts the dj “let’s break some hearts this afternoon, who is single, who is taken? Any special girls in your lives at the moment?”

 “I’m… single.” Slowly, said a deep voice that I could only imagine was Harry Styles’.

“Me too!” added a familiar Irish accent.

“I have a special girl. My girlfriend- Eleanor.”

“Liam?” asked the dj. I could imagine them sitting in a row while and the dj was pointing each of them to answer after the other.

“Yeah. Danielle. She’s my special girl.” Liam’s voice sounded so in love.

“How about you Zayn?”

I didn’t realize at that exact moment, I was gripping my stirring wheel too tightly my knuckles paled.

“There’s this special girl…”

I slowed the car and focused on the radio.

“She’s a singer.”

My stomach immediately did an insane flip.

“She’s very funny, and sassy, and she has really nice eyes.”

Red Light. I slowed to a stop, relaxed my hand and turned the radio volume up.

Could it really be?

“She’s also so stubborn, but I don’t know why I really liked being with her”

 I can’t help my smile; it kept growing the more he talked.

“Sometimes she’s such a challenge but really, she’s amazing!”

“Is she your girlfriend?” asked the dj.

“Erm.. she’s..” I heard him stutter, unsure of what he wanted to say.

“Yes!” Liam answered for Zayn.

What?! Girlfriend? Me?!

Liam continued. “Her name is Perrie Edwards.”

WHAT!?

But who am I kidding to even think that you might see me?
It's in the stars that girls like me,
and boys like you were never meant to be.
- Voice on the Radio, Marie Digby 

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

150,000+ READS! Are you guys serious?! I can’t even understand how that happened! I love you all!

Dedication goes to @AshleighOHare because she came up with the name CAROLAYN and you guys chose it over ZAYNARE, sorry Gab. Haha x

I’m sorry it took too long, I just got back from the beach. What can I say, it’s summer! ;)

Anyway, you guys need to read His Second Chance, it’s so much different from this one, and I think it will end before Dark Alley. Niall girls, I think you’re all gonna love it. Now go make me even happier and check it out. More reads and votes inspire me to update faster.

xx G